new feature: replays

Heiko
Site Admin

new feature: replays

Post by Heiko »

The replay feature suggested by Caled has been implemented.
To begin with, you can now record a replay e.g. of a fight, PK-duel etc. and replay it later. This feature is intended to help improve your trigger and timer combat system, but you can also use it to record your glorious victories, of course.
Second, replays can be shared. The replay will display the text with the same timings as it arrived in the original recording.
If you share your trigger, timer & script system also, other users will be able to see the replay and all of the trigger/timer/script actions without the need to have an account on the particular MUD in question. This can be used nicely to debug Mudlet itself if there happen to be problems with some systems. People can now post a replay together with their own system and say exactly what doesn't work and everybody will be able to reproduce the issues.

How does it work?
1. Check the "log to raw stream" option preferences (this option isn't currently saved, so you'll have to reset it every time you restart Mudlet).
2. Start the recording with the usual "log" button on the right side of the command line.
3. Stop the recording with the same button and take a note of the file name ignoring the path component. The file name contains the date and time when the recording began. You can change the file name to something more appropriate, of course.
4. To load the replay make an alias with the pattern "^loadReplay (.*)" and the script "loadRawFile( matches[2] );" Then e. g. type "loadReplay 12-06-2009#19-21-09.dat" to start the replay.
5. location of the replay files: mudlet home dir/<profile_name>/log on my Debian machine this is e. g. "~/.config/mudlet/profiles/avalon/log" on windows it depends on your exact local version of windows. Look for the folder ".config" in your user document directory.

Caled

Re: new feature: replays

Post by Caled »

I've tried this out on Ubuntu, seems to work as stated. Pretty cool feature, but I have yet to record a full fight with it. I'll get onto that now.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Tried it out too. Seems to be working well, but I've yet to record anything big with it.

Caled

Post by Caled »

Replay critique:

Firstly, they seem to work pretty well. There is a war going on in my mud at the moment, and I've saved about half a dozen logs of some seriously fast and spammy fights (10 vs 10 kind of size). They replay without any problems that I can detect, though I do have one suggestion, that being when a replay has finished, could there be a system message (something like, 'The file <name.dat> has completed replaying.') displayed?

I ask because I have some timer-loop which I am still trying to debug, and after a replay sets it off, it continues and I find it difficult to detect exactly when the replay has ended, since the timer keeps on going.

Caled

Post by Caled »

Request:

loadRawFile()

Could this function take two more parameters - startline and endline? (or even start time and end time?)

If my fight is 20 minutes long, and I want to replay the part that got me killed (usually this is the bit right at the end) I have to sit through 20 minutes of fight. If I could tell it to start the replay at line 8000 and then just watch the final couple of minutes, it would be quite a bit nicer.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

What about adding speed up buttons e.g. speed = 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x?

Caled

Post by Caled »

Heiko wrote:What about adding speed up buttons e.g. speed = 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x?
That could do the trick as well.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

I've added a replay time display and time speed up and speed down buttons to add fast forward capabilities to replays.

Arkholt

Post by Arkholt »

This is awesome. Never heard of it in any other client... at least not ones that work on the Mac.

Kelly

Post by Kelly »

Heyo, sorry for the temporary necro on this thread, but I didn't want to start up a new one for my ineptitude's sake.

On a Mac, where do the replay files go?? The replay indicated the file is: /Users/<myusername>/.
config/mudlet/profiles/Mantis/log/31-03-2010#00-11-46.dat but I don't have a config folder, nor does searching for the file name via Finder yield any matches. Yet I can load the replay just fine within Mudlet (It just opens to a "log" folder, which I also can't find when I look for it manually.)

I also couldn't find that "log to raw stream" option, if that is still applicable.

Sorry if this was a dumb question! Yes, I have the latest version of Mudlet installed. Thanks for the help!