Doing shielded regex differently...

A category for whatever! Can be Mudlet-related or offtopic.
Vadi

Doing shielded regex differently...

Post by Vadi »

As I was about to do a shielded regex in the typical 'begin of line' parent, regex child manner, it occured to me - what about just making it an AND trigger with a line delta of 0, first pattern begin of line and second a regex. That'd still work as a 'shielded' one.

Has anyone tried doing any performance benchmarks on either of these ways? It would certainly be nice to know which to stick with.

tsuujin

Re: Doing shielded regex differently...

Post by tsuujin »

explain "shielded"

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Shielded meaning it's barred from being matched against a line unless a faster pattern - typically begin of line - matches on it. So this makes it so the light pattern is matching on most of the lines, instead of a heavy (slow) regex - when the light one matches, the regex is then given a chance to match.

The typical way to accomplish this is to make a substring trigger and drag a regex inside it, so the regex is only given a chance to match only when the parent does. I realized though that you can make an AND trigger instead with a line delta 0 with the same effect as well (in this case, AND triggers vs gates allow different flexibilities outside of this scope).

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Ah, I see what you're doing. I've thought about this in the past myself, however I've never put in the work to implement it over my hundreds of triggers.

Its a good idea, though. I think in the end I would just use the shielded regex instead of a series of ands to make the proper match. For what I'm doing most of the time I want to catch dynamic content and save what I find.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Well... yes! :) I've always done it. I just realized the same shielding effect can be done with an and trigger though... wondering which one is more efficient now.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

how would you parse dynamic content from a line with and triggers?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I don't know what do you mean, but in this case I'm only talking about shielding regexes - not other applications. Surely if something can only be done one way then it should be so.

Was just hoping someone would benchmark this :P

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Thanks to ixokai for the generator script: http://mudlet.pastebin.com/L3hd7WVg

I tried 100k of either triggers, and the different was negligible - 100ms on a single input line w/ 100k triggers. I guess I'll stick with and for shielding since it'll visually make it look like a normal trigger instead of a gate which it really isn't.

Videos: http://drop.io/h4tglne

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Oh, and not shielding them took ~50% more time -(from 100ms to 150ms, from 200ms to 300ms) so shielding is worth it.

Caled

Post by Caled »

Interesting.

When triggering a single line, how complex can a trigger get (I'm referring to multiple levels of filter chains, gates and whatever else) before it is equally efficient as using a single regex pattern? (Assume a well written pattern).