MCCP3 Support

alaricthenoble

MCCP3 Support

Post by alaricthenoble »

Hello Everyone,
New Mudlet user and I have to say that I love it. I do have a question in regards to it's MCCP support. On the supported protocol's page MCCP is missing entirely, yet I have MCCP2 (option 86) working on a development server with no issues.

So my question - Does it currently support V3 where it compresses to the server?

Sincerely,

Alaricthenoble

atari2600tim

Re: MCCP3 Support

Post by atari2600tim »

Mudlet does support MCCP2 but not MCCP3.

https://wiki.mudlet.org/w/Manual:Supported_Protocols is mostly focused on the ones that send extra information that you could process. Although, I do see that it covers the transport layer security, so maybe that would also be a good place to mention things like compression.

alaricthenoble

Post by alaricthenoble »

Thank you for the clarification. I tried to post the link I was reading but perhaps because I'm new it kept telling me I couldn't cross-post domains, to remove the mudlet.org domain. So I just removed it. But yes, that's the exact link I was referring to.

It's not a big loss, I liked the idea of compressing both ways for a couple of players I have that are forced to utilize low bandwidth connections because metering is common in their region. But Server -> Client sends way more data over the pipe than Client -> Server.

Again - Thanks!

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

TBH I am still confused about Scandum's (TinTin++ maintainer/coder) ideas for MCCP3 - Telnet options are specifically (well normally) negotiable for the two different directions independently - though the way to do both at the same time still confuses the hell out of me - so why does there have to be a separate protocol option for negotiating the same thing but in the opposite direction?

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

Worth filing an issue over on GitHub at https://github.com/Mudlet/Mudlet/issues/new , will get better exposure and tracking that way =)

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Nobody in the MUD community is particularly sold on MCCP3 at the moment and neither are we. The implementation seems strange and it doesn't seem to be solving a problem, like you said the amount of data sent client -> server is quite small.