Mudlet display feels.. sluggish

Fo-Rum

Mudlet display feels.. sluggish

Post by Fo-Rum »

When I first started to use Mudlet, I immediately noticed the display being slightly sluggish for me. At that time I didn't think it was the display though, I thought it was just delay from command sent and information received. In other words, I thought it was just my connection being laggy, like I was connected through dial-up with a 250+ ms response time.

Okay, so I've been using Mudlet the last week or so, and have only gone back to my normal cient, MUSHclient, to port over an alias or two every now and then. Well, today I felt like killing stuff, and it just so happens all of my bashing things are still on MUSHclient. So I get on MUSHclient, and start to head to a bashing spot. I immediately noticed that "delay", that I thought was my connection being laggy (btw, my service sucks so this is a valid assumption on my end), was gone.

What I did when I realized it wasn't my connection was immediately compare Mudlet to MUSHclient display rates, and MUSHclient, for me, seems much better at it. It didn't feel like I was connected through dial-up anymore. Are there any reasons for this? Does anyone else notice this?

Vadi

Re: Mudlet display feels.. sluggish

Post by Vadi »

Does your MUD send the GA or \n to end things?

What do numbers at the bottom right, N and S say?

Fo-Rum

Post by Fo-Rum »

I thought it did use GA/newline, I have the "fix unnecessary linebreaks on GA servers" on, but with it off "delay" feeling is the same.

the numbers in the bottom right are:

N: 0.125
S: 0.000

Running a ping test to the server averages at 88 (it should be 42 but my damn ISP keeps screwing around).

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Mudlet's display is actually really fast. There were people before who reported similar problems. These were all solved by updating their video card drivers.

Fo-Rum

Post by Fo-Rum »

I'd love to update my video card drivers. Problem is, I can't do that, because I recently did! I know that Mudlet is really fast (especially when it is advertised as such!). However, for some reason, I'm having a problem with it.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

What's your OS version and what's your graphics card?

Fo-Rum

Post by Fo-Rum »

Windows XP SP3 (unfortunately SP3 and not SP2!)
GeForce 8600GT

Ummm, I'd like to note that the problem seems to have went away without my doing anything. Pretty sure I don't have any strange little programs that shouldn't be running in the background without my permission that might have caused a system slowdown. I'm pretty observant with my system, and also turn bunches of useless services off (security holes/garbage).

Not certain at this moment what could have caused it. If it happens again I'll be much more observant of the situation though. It has been a few days since I've used Mudlet, and I haven't even reset my machine since then either.

Anyway, I appreciate seeing active attention to a problem. I see a lot more here than most places.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Could be that you're running Windows. They -love- to run background processes you didn't ask for and don't want without ever informing you.