Count Money

str3ss

Count Money

Post by str3ss »

While I know it's possible, I'm at a loss as to how approach the following problem. In this MUD you can count coins in <container> and it'll return "This is a pile of various types of coins, including ten copper shindigs, one gold boondoggle, one silver fart, nine copper troubles, and four silver cantaloupes."

Thanks to the help files, we know that shindigs are worth 1 each, boondoggles are worth 625 each, farts are worth 125 each, troubles are worth 5 each, and cantaloupes are worth 25 each.

How would we create a script that did the math and echo'd the actual value back to you?

demonnic

Re: Count Money

Post by demonnic »

Hi!

So, I'm using code from viewtopic.php?t=22617 to do the number word to number conversion in the attached package. If you import it, the supplied example line comes out looking like this:
unknown.png
unknown.png (6.3 KiB) Viewed 10564 times

To summarize what I did:

I used the first part of the example line, "This is a pile of various types of coins, including" as a begin of line substring trigger. This trigger has the following in the code block, to reset the value to 0 since we're about to add it all up:
Code: [show] | [select all] lua
value = 0
I then made child triggers for each type of currency as a perl regex trigger, the example pattern for shindigs being: "(.*) copper shindigs"
The code for the shindigs looks like this:
local coins = convert_number_words(matches[2])
value = value + coins * coin_value.shindigs
Finally, beneath the perl regex triggers for the currency types, I made a substring trigger matching a single period: "."
With the code block:
-- using a . as the substring pattern as the provided example only had one period, at the end of the line. 
-- you could also use a prompt trigger here to echo it at the next prompt, or 'silver cantaloupes' if it's 
-- always guaranteed to have the cantaloupes listed and at the end. This also closes the coin counter
cecho("My coins are worth: <green>$" .. value .. "\n")
setTriggerStayOpen('Coin counter', 0)
And the coin_value definition is in a script, and looks like this:
coin_value = {}
coin_value.shindigs = 1
coin_value.boondoggle = 625
coin_value.fart = 125
coin_value.troubles = 5
coin_value.cantaloupes = 25
Attachments
coincounter.mpackage
(1.75 KiB) Downloaded 466 times

str3ss

Post by str3ss »

Nice! Works really well. I think it might have a problem with hyphenated money (I forgot to mention things like fourty-seven), but it should be easy enough to modify if so. Thank you!

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

Yeah, I don't believe the code I took from the other forum post used hyphenates, but that's where I would look to make your edits. If I get time later tonight I might try to tackle it.

ETA: if you capture the value as a hyphenate, say "forty-seven", you can use the following to change it to "forty seven"
numberToChange = "forty-seven"
newNumber = string.gsub(numberToChange, '-', ' ')

bruary

Post by bruary »

It looks like the calculation in the example is incorrect, but I'm not sure why. It came up as $9115 when it should be $895. Any suggestions?

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

hmm, might help to use parantheses to ensure order of operations. I used "value = value + coins * coin_value.shindigs" and it might be more accurate to use "value = value + (coins * coin_value.shindigs)"

Will take a look later to see if that's it.

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

My triggers were off, I have attached a better, more accurate version that comes up with 905 (did you forget the 10 copper shindigs to get 895 maybe?) and matches my math. Thanks for catching that.
Attachments
cointcoins.mpackage
(1.77 KiB) Downloaded 469 times

bruary

Post by bruary »

Almost perfect! I tested with various combinations using feedTriggers() with no problems.
There's one issue when the text comes from the mud though. The mud will show something like:
"This is a pile of various types of coins, including ten copper shindigs, one gold
boondoggle, one silver fart, nine copper troubles, and four silver cantaloupes."

Everything will be counted except the boondoggle, since it's split across a line break. Since you can hold many combinations of coins, it might break after a quantity, metal, or type of coin.

Looking around for similar problems people have had, maybe this is fixed with some sort of stayOpen?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

This is easiest and best fixed by asking the MUD not to wrap the lines for you, and getting Mudlet to wrap them instead - this way your triggers get 1 easy line to work with. Can you turn line wrapping off in your game?

bruary

Post by bruary »

I asked, but there isn't a way to turn off the mud's wrap.