Returning Aardwolf player after 10 years, previously used zmud.

jieiku

Returning Aardwolf player after 10 years, previously used zmud.

Post by jieiku »

10 years ago or so I played Aardwolf, at the time I used windows and ran zmud.

years ago I moved over to linux, now that I have returned to mudding I see that zmud/cmud are no longer under development.

Mudlet seems to be the most feature rich linux client, however when I first tried mapping in Aardwolf it seemed no rooms were created at all simply by turning the mapper on and moving around (which is what I was familiar with back when I used zmud/cmud)

I found a script "github: daagar/damp" that seems to get the mapper functioning for Aardwolf.
I was a mapping wizard back when I used zmud, I had over 95% of Aardwolf mapped and explored.

Onto my issue which is probably just a lack of understanding how things work in Mudlet.

Sometimes while mapping you might find you want to delete some rooms and remap them, when I did this, it remapped the rooms, but did not connect the connecting lines in the mapper, here is a picture to illustrate:
aard.png
One thing I can remember from zmud, is it would do something similar to this when you delete a room and remap it, you had the ability to right click the room and select reload/remap from a menu or something like that, and it would look in the room and reload all info for that room, is there an ability similar to this?

Also I remember it was possibly to manually create the line connection between rooms in zmud, as well as change them to one way exits, how would I accomplish this?

I see when I right click on a room to open the menu, there is an option labeled "exits" but when I click it nothing happens, I suspect it is supposed to be opening a menu for me to modify exits or something to that extent.

I really appreciate any and all help.

jieiku

Re: Returning Aardwolf player after 10 years, previously used zmud.

Post by jieiku »

I actually figured out that you Must make sure the room is selected first with left click before you right click on a room and select "exits"

I then see that I can manually enter vnums for adjacent rooms to make the connection.

Is there a way to draw a line between the two and have both rooms edited and vnums populated? I think it would be much faster, I will just stick to entering the vnums manually when required for now, but really appreciate a response if this can be accomplished quicker.

I am also wondering if no rooms are currently selected, if the right click on a room should both select the room and open the menu to avoid confusion for new users? Either that or have the "exits" option greyed out if you have not properly selected a room with left click first.

I see that the "set locations" option is properly greyed out with a nice tooltip explaining why, it might be a good idea to do the same for the "exits" item. Possibly other items as well such as "move, custom exit line, symbol, spread, shrink, weight, delete, move to, area"

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

If no room is selected then controls act on the current or player room - the one with the gross red highlight. Note that if a room is selected it will be drawn with an orange selection colour instead - and the information text on the top of the 2D map gains an orange tint. The line that reports a room name and number will also change. When nothing is selected it now (it has been changed recently (in the latest version 3.17.1?) reports "... current player location" in black or white - and the context menu action act on that red room. If one room is selected the information reports "... selected room" and the context menu acts on THAT room. If more than one room is selected then the information reports "... center of # selected rooms" and the context menu acts either on all the rooms or on the center room which is the one with the yellow cross-hairs:
Image of 2D mapper with no room selected
Image of 2D mapper with no room selected
Screenshot_20190301_233203.png (21.76 KiB) Viewed 5488 times
Image of 2D mapper with one room selected
Image of 2D mapper with one room selected
Screenshot_20190301_233240.png (22.47 KiB) Viewed 5488 times
Image of 2D mapper with several rooms selected
Image of 2D mapper with several rooms selected
Screenshot_20190301_233328.png (31.92 KiB) Viewed 5488 times
As to merging two rooms together I believe someone has written a script/package to do that sort of thing - but the details escape me of who or how...

jieiku

Post by jieiku »

Thanks! I appreciate that. I will keep tinkering with it! Also good to know that when no room is selected that it operates on the player room.

In my case the options instead DO NOTHING, so it seems maybe its supposed to work on the player room but is not.

for example if no room is selected, with only the red bulseye indicator showing my current room, and I right click the map and select "exits" nothing opens or appears, but if I manually select/highlight a room, then right click and select "exits" it then opens the exits properties window for the selected room.

I am running Mudlet 3.17.1 under KDE, however I experienced the same behavior with 3.7.1 also on KDE.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Ah, yes, you are right - I can see in the code that it deliberately bails out if a room is not selected - so indeed it should be greyed out in that situation (or made so it will act on the current player room)... :oops:

Flagged as https://github.com/Mudlet/Mudlet/issues/2377 .