Mudlet Mapper preview

Heiko
Site Admin

Mudlet Mapper preview

Post by Heiko »

It's not done yet, but this version is already usable and will walk you around your wold reliably. However, the mapper is in an early stage and can only be used with IRE games right now, but it'll get better in the future :)

1. a)If you play Achaea import this package for the autowalker:
newAchaeaPackage-1.0.zip
(390.14 KiB) Downloaded 1509 times
You'll need to change the path to the gfx folder as usual.

b) If you play any of the other IRE games import this autowalker without the additional GUI elements:
http://drop.io/mudlet_mapper

2. download the new Mudlet version Mudlet-1.2.0-pre2.exe from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mudlet/ ... e/download

screenshots of what you'll get in Achaea:
screeny1.png
screeny2.png
On the other IRE games you'll get the mapper in a dock window unless you'll add a script to display the mapper inline like in the Achaea demo:
screeny3.png
trouble shooting:
0. Log in your game and move to a room that has an ingame map e.g. the market of a big city. Log out and restart Mudlet.
1. pick your game from one of the default IRE game profiles (click on one of the IRE icons in the connection dialog).
2. click on the map button
3. map download will start
4. after map download the map data has to be processed. During this time Mudlet will freeze. The time needed to process the map data will depend on your computer (between several seconds - several minutes)
5. Once you can see the map save the profile and quit Mudlet
6. restart Mudlet, Map will be up quickly now
7. import the newAchaeapack to get the autowalker scripts, save your profile and restart
8. Now you should be good to go. Depending on your game, you'll have to add a few trigger patterns to suit your game to detect closed doors and do swimming. Just add the new patterns to the existing pattern list in the respective trigger

Troubleshooting: If you have downloaded map data before but cannot see a map: a) Make sure that you are in a room that actually has an ingame map. b) delete everything in .config/mudlet/profiles/yourgame/maps

Give it a try, and please post on your experiences:

What mapper are you coming from?

What features are you missing here?

What is your general feedback on the mapper?

What new features would you like to see?

tarrant

Re: Mudlet Mapper preview

Post by tarrant »

can't wait. how long into the future are we looking at?
btw, what are ire games?

Edit: i'm asking cuz i'm assuming i don't play an ire game cuz i don't know what it is.
Last edited by tarrant on Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skylark

Post by Skylark »

When starting up I get errors because of functions that aren't defined:

getMainConsoleWidth()
createMapper()

The main console width I can get around, but the second's a bit out of my league.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

You need to install Mudlet-1.2.0-pre2.exe first ;) See link in my first posting.

Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Well, that did it. Sorry, wasn't paying attention and ran the wrong version.

So now that the mapper's up and running, where would I look to learn how to start using it? In my bumbling I haven't found the way to add rooms and start mapping.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

It doesn't map at all at the moment. Map data is downloaded from the IRE game that you're playing. Might need to restart the mapper/mudlet if the map isn't coming up the first time

Skylark

Post by Skylark »

I've restarted several times with no change. The map window appears, but I can't see any rooms; it's simply an empty window (with the mapping toolbar). The map database that's saved remains at 4 bytes, and clicking anywhere within the mapper window results in an error saying that the target room cannot be found. However, I haven't gotten the message about the mapper only working for IRE MUDS.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

"The mapper is in an early stage and can only be used with IRE games right now, but it'll get better in the future "

Delete the map database though. If you're connected through a proxy like mudbot, you'd need to connect directly to the .com for it to realize properly atm, if you're already connected directly - please list which mud is it, as detection isn't properly working.

kaeus

Post by kaeus »

Vadi wrote:"The mapper is in an early stage and can only be used with IRE games right now, but it'll get better in the future "

Delete the map database though. If you're connected through a proxy like mudbot, you'd need to connect directly to the .com for it to realize properly atm, if you're already connected directly - please list which mud is it, as detection isn't properly working.
Also you can do `toggleatcp to have mudbot ignore atcp and send it on then the mapper will pick it up in Mudlet.

Skylark

Post by Skylark »

I'm playing Achaea. I am not connected through a proxy that I know of. After deleting the empty database files and attempting to start the mapper, I receive the error message stating that the mapper currently only supports IRE games.