Mudlet Mapper API

Vadi

Mudlet Mapper API

Post by Vadi »

The plan is to make a Lua/C++ hybrid, with the Lua part usable for scripting and tailoring the mapper to work on specific MUDs.

So I'd like to start a thread, with the first post being a placeholder for discussed, confirmed but not yet implemented functions.

goto (room id) - plots a course and starts speedwalking to the given room id
findRoom(query[, boolean]) - if boolean is false or omitted, does a substring search with the given query for all room names, and returns fruitful data (at least a table with room numbers, better yet a table with all room details in it). If boolean is true, does an exact match search.

Implemented:
setWeight()
setRoomColor()

Vadi

Re: Mudlet Mapper API

Post by Vadi »

I think it'd make sense to add gotoRoom(query[, boolean]) - same as find, but goes to the closest room that matches the query for a room name. Along with gotoArea in this regard.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I really like Alexanders mockup here: http://i.imgur.com/Lh6vd.png most importantly, the "label" he has pointing to a room. Some sort of a system for labels that can contain information and point to a room will be very useful for scripting.

naftali

Post by naftali »

Vadi wrote:I really like Alexanders mockup here: http://i.imgur.com/Lh6vd.png most importantly, the "label" he has pointing to a room. Some sort of a system for labels that can contain information and point to a room will be very useful for scripting.
That looks (imo) MUCH easier to read than the screenshots I've seen you posting. Dunno how it'll hold up in more complicated areas, just wanted to say.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

the 3D display that is currently being implemented would simply have to have a label element implemented, and then a skinning protocol to achieve basically the same thing.

I don't see it happening, though, because that'd be a ton of work.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

The slate format of the screenshot definitely doesn't work well for more complex maps. I've tested this earlier. Cubes are much better. About labels and textures: planned but not a priority. First I'll have to get a decent core to build a decent unified map and actually map unknown land. Currently, I'll entirely rely on a downloaded room db from IRE. Then you'll be able to use the mapper on other MUDs as well.
I'll release an IRE map db viewer + autowalker relatively soon because I got many complaints about the IRE ingame maps and the need to use 3rd party bot mappers. Right now the auto walking and area display is done. It's currently being improved and triggers are added to fit all IRE games. A few people will receive a preview for testing purposes in the next couple of days.

@ tsuujin: You can send me an email if you want to take part in the test. (-> Mudlet about dialog)