Feature Request: Self Containted Install

smkey21

Feature Request: Self Containted Install

Post by smkey21 »

Would it be possible to have mudlet do a check to see if there's a .config folder located in the same directory that the mudlet.exe file is located before it checks the user's documents and settings folder. Preferably with an option during the initial install to add the .config folder to that directory. It would be useful for making the client much more convenient when installed on a flash drive to make it portable.

demonnic

Re: Feature Request: Self Containted Install

Post by demonnic »

smkey21 wrote:Would it be possible to have mudlet do a check to see if there's a .config folder located in the same directory that the mudlet.exe file is located before it checks the user's documents and settings folder. Preferably with an option during the initial install to add the .config folder to that directory. It would be useful for making the client much more convenient when installed on a flash drive to make it portable.

There has been some talk of this happening in an upcoming release. I wouldn't be surprised to see it come about, but it's not locked in I don't think.

Ilithyia

Post by Ilithyia »

Haha. What a weird coincidence! I was just trying to figure out how to change the path of the profile directory, since I mainly work off a portable hard drive. When I came to the forums to ask about it, I find this thread created on the very same day!

I agree. It would definitely be a great feature to have a portable Mudlet. As it is now, I'm having to export my profile from one computer to import it on another (and vice versa) to keep it current, since I change the profile all the time.

Caled

Post by Caled »

I just searched the forum to see if a self contained install to a usb stick is possible, and found Heiko posting to a different thread, just a few days after this one, to say that it will be a feature in the near future.

I'm just bumping this thread now, because I'm wondering whether we're close to that near future (or even if it already arrived while I wasn't around).

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

The latest dev built (=the mapper preview ->general forum) doesn't yet contain flash drive support, but it'll be included in the next official release.