Mudlet Mapper

Heiko
Site Admin

Re: Mudlet Mapper

Post by Heiko »

character level is yellow, current room is red, levels above the character are glass, rooms below have other solid colors
Bildschirmfoto-3.png
Bildschirmfoto-2.png

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I really like this and imho the problem of multiple layers is solved. I can see myself moving through the layers, with my current level being highlighted so well nothing on top or bottom gets in the way - plus my position is easy to see. You can optionally rotate the view to get a better look at something, which would help greatly in areas that are all long up/down exit stretches.

I guess next is room links and individual room coloring? Room-type based identification would be nice (maybe by colors or... making the room itself allow to contain 3D shapes. Like a house or a road. Hm, what an idea). For example, if it's a water room, have it be filled halfway with water.

Does that imagine as a reasonable way to everyone?

Oneymus

Post by Oneymus »

I suggest the ability to change the room graphic. For instance, I might want to use a small picture of a tree to represent a forest instead of the cubes. Of course, this could be assimilated into Jeremy's suggestion of adding pictures to the cubes themselves.

Also, changing the colour of room links.

And, possibly, room link graphics. Could perhaps use a door on the link itself to represent, well, a door.

Also, I think it's important that that the mapper be able to handle multiple exits (in the same direction) from a single room. For instance, if a single room has different levels, with each level capable of having its own exits, it is possible that there could be multiple WEST exits or some such.

And, too, special care should be taken in regards to, in this case specifically, Iron Realms games' IN and OUT exits. In my Building to date, we've been putting them +/- 10 their base level in the in-game mapper. I'm not sure if this standard, or just the convention this particular game is using. Regardless, it might be a good feature for the mapper to handle these sorts of special spaces; similar in a manner to Jeremy's suggestion concerning hidden rooms.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

(08:39:56 PM) _heiko: yes, try to go into as much detail as possible and try to make a preliminary gui to get a clearer idea of what's needed maybe
(08:40:29 PM) _heiko: i hope to get some more time this weekend to maybe get out a working alpha
So, here are all my plans, suggestions, etc. First of all, things I couldn't express in the mockup.

- when the autowalker is walking you somewhere, it's path should be highlighted on the exits it'll be taking (perhaps a bold blue).

Important keybindings:
- F11 is a toggle resizes the window to be fullscreen - means menubar gone, window borders gone, info panel, just shows the map
- ctr+m is a toggle that goes into the "mini" mode - same as fullscreen, but we don't change the window size. So this hides the menubar, (if on linux then the window handlers, because you can use alt+click to move) and just shows the map.

Map movement controls:
Lets take it from one of the most easy to use programs in this field - Google Earth.
- left-clicking and dragging will drag the map while maintaining the same height from the level (vital to keep this easy to use)
- middle-clicking allows you to rotate around the clicked point along with move the camera up and down, all while being fixated on the point. The point is also marked visually for the duration of the click, to make it easy to realize the point of reference.
- right-clicking allows free movement of the map, with acceleration controlled by the distance of the original click. It is important to note that it is impossible to lose the level after you're done moving - even if you manage to turn the camera away, it will reset after you let go to show the level.
- the usual WASD and up,down,left,right keys move the camera about while keeping the same height much like the right-click.
- single-clicking a room will select it
- double-clicking on a room will move to it

There are visual controls also present for handling zoom, rotation and freelook - they take up no extra space themselves and 'hide' to only show the outline when the mouse is not near them (hidden, showing).

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

That is really looking nice.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

To expand on:
- single-clicking a room will select it
- double-clicking on a room will move to it
This should work on all rooms - glass, yellow or solid. To deal with overlapping, we should allow the use of shift+mouse scrollwheel to "scroll" the selection through overlapping rooms. Overlapping as in between the camera and the desired room, another one is in the way. Selected rooms should be visible, maybe having them a blue glow would do.

Sheia

Post by Sheia »

This is looking great guys! ;)

juraj

Post by juraj »

So there is 2D as well right? One of the reasons I play muds is because my graphics card doesn't handle 3D semi-transparent graphics all too well. I honestly really liked zmud's system of using shadows for the layer below, and open squares for the layer above.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

It will be possible to create a 2D viewer for the mapper.

Everest

Post by Everest »

Vadi wrote:
- ctrl+f is a toggle resizes the window to be fullscreen - means menubar gone, window borders gone, info panel, just shows the map

I'd prefer F11 for Fullscreen (like most browsers, and Google Earth itself), and make Ctrl+F Find. Open up a search box and search for either a Room ID (select and center it) or a Room Name, which would create a list of all rooms with that Room Name, with options like edit, walk, etc. And of course standard search options like Match Case and Exact Match.

Vadi wrote:
- right-clicking allows free movement of the map, with acceleration controlled by the distance of the original click. It is important to note that it is impossible to lose the level after you're done moving - even if you manage to turn the camera away, it will reset after you let go to show the level.

I'd prefer traditional right-click behavior, such as New Room, Edit Room/Link, Rotate (around this point), Center (at this point), Preferences, etc. The functionality can be replaced by how hard you "throw" the left click, how long you hold the arrow keys, and of course with the visual controls on the right. You could also zoom out, drag, and zoom back in.

It'd also be nice if these click-behaviors are user-configurable (i.e. my laptop doesn't have a middle click, so maybe I want right-click to rotate). Same thing with the room colors (although I do like the defaults the best).

Other miscellaneous things:
-Allow to be put side-by-side with Mudlet's output window (like chat boxes and hp bars, I think (never used either)).
-Walking by Room Name in addition to Room ID. With multiple rooms with the same Room Name, walk to the lowest Room ID, and then, once there, enter the command again to walk to the room with the next highest Room ID. Wrap once you get to the top.

Other than that, keep up the good work! This is looking absolutely amazing.