MUD geography types

Vadi

MUD geography types

Post by Vadi »

A compilation of geography information for different MUD engines, so we know what to plan for in the mapper.

MUD: Discworld
Terrain type is mixed wilderness/cities. Cities are have the normal rooms with a limited amount of exits in any given room, and the only way to travel between cities is via wilderness. In the wilderness, you have an option to move ten rooms at once, because it's so big. Cities themselves has about 12k rooms total, wilderness uncounted (quite a lot apparently and MUD loads it dynamically). It also has a built-in command queue - if you do more than 2 actions at once, they'll get queued for you - so huge walking aliases are possible.

MUD: Achaea, Aetolia, Imperian, Lusternia, Midkemia
Terrain type is wilderness or normal rooms, although some normal areas are only accessible via the wilderness. Normal room movement is restricted to 2 per second. Abilities allow you to jump through a row of rooms at once. Some enviroments require special commands to get through (ie swim through rivers). You can also be in different 'levels' of a room - flying, normal or burrowed, but all the different level does is it means that come rooms aren't accessible (ie cant enter indoors flying). Not counting the wilderness, Achaea has ~22k rooms, Imperian ~14k.

MUD: Batmud
Seems like wilderness all the way. You enter areas which then have some exits restricted via walls, but it's still a wilderness-like layout.

chosig

Re: MUD geography types

Post by chosig »

MUD: Aardwolf

Terrain types: Inside, Field, Mountain, Water(noswim)¸Water, Desert, Underwater, Underground, Road, Volcano, Dungeon, City, Hills, Water, Air, Quicksand, Ice, River, Cave and Forest.

Aardwolf have 29531 explorable rooms.

Heavy usage of portals, there's about 100 different. It's a piece of equipment that you hold and enter, it directly teleports you. There's also player generated portals 'Chaos Portals', ranging from regular blank ones, that will be to a random room in an area or Golden that goes to the room that you are in when you create it.

Chaos portals are static after creation.

Doors, come in different variants, unlocked and locked. In addition there's flags for passdoor, bash and picklock. All doors revert to 'original' state after area repop.

So a locked door that's nopass, nopick, can be unlocked with key or bashed in.

Aardwolf have built-in speedwalks for most areas, use sw <area> to get the speedwalk there, or runto <area> to run to that area (all originate from "recall" by default).

Oh, and rooms can be norecall/noportal flagged too.

Misc flags that might be good to implement is PK and CMAZE.

That's what I can think of, hope I make any sense.

Edit:
Directions, NWESDU and "specials", like "climb ladder". Exits are up to the area creator, so they can be "climb ladder" in one direction and just "down" in the other.

No MXP support.

Caled

Post by Caled »

I mentioned this in the other thread, but - Tears of Polaris. An IRE mud still in development.

Much of it will be the same as other IRE muds; that is to say limited exits and a finite number of rooms.

Much of it will also be based around space travel, which as per the last known update from the dev team, is a exit-less area where your ship, and objects (planets, stars etc) have x,y,z coordinates. Movement from one coordinate to another is to be decided by setting a course and speed. There -are- individual rooms, but they are transparent cubes, sort of just grid lines that have been hidden.

It will be represented in ascii format on screen, with 2 two-dimensional cross sections, side by side, one showing x/y, and the other showing y/z.

In a discussion on the ToP forum, from a few years ago, it was noted that there are other muds depicting space travel in a similar fashion.

Edit: Figured I'd add a link to the thread I mentioned, and a quote:
Tears of Polaris forum thread about their space travel system
Hi,

So I'm Unkeml, and I'm the one building space, space travel, and the physics thereof. I say building of course, because it's not quite done (and I sometimes wonder if it ever will be). But as it comes together and gets more usable I'll be posting some updates here to give highlights of some of the features, and to try to explain some of the peculiarities.

So to begin with, here's the nickel tour of the basics of space:

* It is completely coded from scratch. It is not based upon, nor does it use code from any of the other games.
* Space is truly three dimensional. X, Y, and Z. There are no favored directions except the ones you choose to use as your view (or at the moment, I choose to use to render your view)
* Space is huge. There can be up to around 4 billion "rooms" in space. (It currently doesn't have that many because for some reason the builders haven't come up with 4 billion things to put in them. We have about 128,000 to play with while building is under way.)
* The 4 billion space "rooms" of course do not include the rooms that you are familiar with from other IRE games, which are found on individual planets.
* Spaceships are highly customizable and can be built, upgraded, and redesigned without needing an admin helping along.
* Player run docks and space stations will be capable of building and repairing ships for the empires (or your own empire) as well as for fending off marauding space pirates.
* Ships will have upgradable AIs and systems to simplify your life, like allowing navigation and trade routes.

As I continue along making space work, I'll post updates here, and give a few more details about the different aspects.

Jaizsur

Post by Jaizsur »

Achaea:

Constructed Underground, Mountains, Polar, Tsol'aa city, Vast Ocean, Jungle, Sewer, Beach, Magma Caves, Urban, Hills, Natural Underground, Ocean, Valley, Ruins, Grasslands, Skies, Reef, Blighted, Water, River, Swamp, Ocean floor, Chaos, Tundra, Dwarven Camp, Freshwater, Trees, Deep Ocean, Desert, Path, Catacombs, Garden, Forest.