Chat Window

Davyde84

Chat Window

Post by Davyde84 »

HI Everyone!
I'm a superNewBie in mudlet

i come from Zmud 4,62 (quite old ah) and i'm used to have a main windows and a little windows where i capture all "chat" line so i do not miss when someone want to talk to me

how can i do that in mudlet?

thanks

Nyyrazzilyss

Re: Chat Window

Post by Nyyrazzilyss »

I'd suggest looking at Demonnic's YATCO package.

http://forums.mudlet.org/viewtopic.php? ... 2.3#p15149

It's a mature script you can import into your own package that creates tabbed chat windows - It would just need to be adjusted for appropriate sizing / the mud in question.

Davyde84

Post by Davyde84 »

i did it this way

openUserWindow("chat")
showWindow("chat")
echo("chat", line .. "\n")

but how can i keep colors?

Nyyrazzilyss

Post by Nyyrazzilyss »

To capture colors also when copying from one window to another, you'd need to use a combination of

selectCurrentLine()
copy()
appendBuffer()

http://wiki.mudlet.org/w/Manual:Lua_Functions

Davyde84

Post by Davyde84 »

YES!
i do this way now!

openUserWindow("chat")
showWindow("chat")
--selects and copies an entire line to user window named "Chat"
selectCurrentLine()
copy()
appendBuffer("chat")

Now i've got a new problem...
If i close that window.. i cannot have it back until i close mudlet and restart it

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai »

Greetings, I have the same problem as Davyde had, I am not able to create a separate tab or window specially for chat (channels). You see, it makes playing extremely difficult with everything (combat spam, world information and chats) going to one window. I am very new to muds and mud clients and I don't have IT background and don't understand scripting.

So is there any step-by-step manual on this subject for total newbs? I installed both Geyser and YATCO into mudlet and spent inordinate amount of time trying to make them work, but failed. I am not stupid, but this is just too tough for me to understand. Maximum what I got was a greyish window on the right side of the screen with "Misc" written on it. It wasn't functional.

If it's of any use, I play HellMoo. We have general chat channels like "tradenet" and "chatnet", and also corp (org) chats.

Please help!

Nyyrazzilyss

Post by Nyyrazzilyss »

How are you closing the window? From what I remember, you can't close windows - Once created they always exist. Either hide (hideWindow) or show (showWindow)

Davyde84

Post by Davyde84 »

With right click on the button bar come a check box to hide and show windows

Now next issue..
When the copied line is too long for chat window how Can i have it go go next line?
Chat window does not have bar to swipe left-right...

Nyyrazzilyss

Post by Nyyrazzilyss »

You would need to change your copy command to look at the size of the line you were copying + the size of the window you were going to copy it to, and then break the line into two parts as needed.

Mudlet doesn't do anything by itself, it provides the tools that scripts can be created to complete desired actions. You can write a chat client by yourself yes, fixing every problem yourself. Or, you can use the YATCO client that someone has taken the effort to address all of those issues previously. There are various threads that cover how to install/configure the YATCO client: If you're having problems with it, i'd suggest asking a question in those threads :)