special exit/nonspecified exit bug

All and any discussion and development of the Mudlet Mapper.
nordicmagpie

special exit/nonspecified exit bug

Post by nordicmagpie »

I just wondered if anyone else had noticed that there seems to be a major bug where accessing any form of entrance/exit to a "room" that is not implicitly listed as an "obvious exit" seems to just completely derail the accuracy of the map.

For instance, you head south a few rooms, come to a room with say, a descriptive door or window, or an unexpected break in a hedge maze, and it is not listed as an "obvious exit". Once you choose the compass direction of that "special/unspecified" exit, the Mapper somehow manages to add extra, nonexistent rooms onto the map. This would not be a problem, except that it makes the rest of the map not line up, and starts filling in a duplicate map, just slightly offset from the original, which is no longer functional, as nothing lines up anymore.

I've been toying around with scripts all night, trying to see if I can get anywhere with this, but have had no luck.
Any thoughts or ideas (mind you, I'm not some kind of lua/perl guru, I'm relearning everything from scratch, after a nearly 20 year hiatus, but I'm doing what I can with what I've picked back up so far)?

I think that nipping this bug in the bud would go a long way to bringing old gamers back to MUDing, and getting younger gamers to try it out in the first place; too many people just don't have the same kind of patience for this kind of fun anymore, sadly.

Vadi

Re: special exit/nonspecified exit bug

Post by Vadi »

Which MUD are you playing on, and what mapping script are you using to do the mapping with?

nordicmagpie

Re: special exit/nonspecified exit bug

Post by nordicmagpie »

I'm playing on Shattered Isles, and this is a link to the mapper script I'm using: http://www.shatteredisles.com/forums/vi ... cript#p305

I have searched the forums of various other muds, and discovered that this is a frequent problem, but I haven't become proficient enough in Lua yet to be able to write a workaround for my mud, or even to try to adapt the workarounds written for other muds.