Hover over rooms?

All and any discussion and development of the Mudlet Mapper.
Nyyrazzilyss

Hover over rooms?

Post by Nyyrazzilyss »

Is this something doable with existing code?

What I mean is if I just move the mouse pointer over a room in the mapper (not clicking on it). Is it possible to pop up a window showing the name of the room?

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Hover over rooms?

Post by SlySven »

It is a nice idea in theory - but the practice might be problematic. I did something like it for a custom TinTin++ client's HTML map output and have that as a vague idea for a future Mudlet Map output option. Doing it in the application itself might be possible, if there is mouse "hover" support in the Qt libraries (there well could be) - what should be done if there is a room collision (more than one room at the same coordinate?) Should routes(exit) also be handled? Should the window hang-around and then fade or stay until the mouse moves away? A compromise might be to revise the Room Info display at the top of the (2D) mapper to show the information for the room nearest the mouse whilst the mouse is inside the map widget and there are no rooms selected, and when the mouse leaves the widget the display reverts to the current behaviour of showing the information for the "player room" (unless there is one or more rooms "selected")...

Nyyrazzilyss

Re: Hover over rooms?

Post by Nyyrazzilyss »

Judging by your answer, i'm guessing it's not something I could write myself inside a package using pre-existing functions.

If it's going to require a change to codebase, no rush. Your comment about updating room info rather then opening a window would be quite reasonable, and really beneficial when it comes to speedwalking - Could just move the mouse across various rooms until the name of the correct one shows, then doubleclick that room to speedwalk to it.