Mudlet features and API requests

tarkenton

Re: Mudlet features and API requests

Post by tarkenton »

Also, agree that being able to adjust Z position of labels / consoles would be nice.

Belgarath
Discord: macjabeth#7149

Post by Belgarath »

This is just a question, though I ask it in hopes of it being considered in a future update.

Will the Mudlet editor be worked on so it is more user friendly? I know some people prefer the simplicity of it, but I feel there's a lot of potential to make it better and easier to script in, instead of having to use separate text editors to code the bits and copy/paste them in.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Probbaly!

dicene

Post by dicene »

Edit: Should probably preface this wall of text with a heads up that I know that there are not going to be any new features added to 3.0's final release, and I'm more of asking about the likelihood that these three features might ever be incorporated, rather than asking for them to be done now or something like that.

A few quick things(feature requests, questions) that initially occurred to me when I first transitioned from Cmud to Mudlet like, 2 years ago.

Copying multiple lines to turn into triggers was extremely convenient in Cmud, largely due to two primary improvements over Mudlet's functionality.

1.) If you clicked in the margin to the left of the text in a window, you selected the entire line. If you dragged across multiple lines in this space, it would select the entirety of each line. Now that selecting over timestamps doesn't CTD, it's not such a huge bonus, but having that small functionality added would cut out some small amount of time from an action that is performed repeatedly over the entire course of your time using the client.

2.) The other small difference I noticed immediately is that when copying multiple lines that were wrapped by Mudlet(but sent as a single line by the server), you end up copying the newline character, which ends up as a space character when you actually paste the text you are turning into a trigger into the trigger editor. This is something that you learn to watch for quickly when using Mudlet, but it also tends to lead to several broken triggers for newer users that might not instinctively paste the line into their command line or editor to remove the extra spaces. I suspect this is more than likely a byproduct of there being no difference to Mudlet between server newlines and Mudlet's added newlines, meaning no way to parse them out as you copy? If that's the case, I'd imagine it's not really possible to find a way to parse out those extra newlines when copying(which is a second feature request) without a healthy amount of work, but I figure I'd ask anyway.

The third thing I've missed from Cmud and MUSH both is a way to directly copy an entire alias/trigger/script/etc into a text form(I think both use XML) so you can easily give that to someone else who simply has to paste it in. In Imperian, I spend A LOT of my time helping other people with Mudlet, whether I'm helping them convert from other clients, or giving them scripts/packages to help make things easier, to giving them entire systems. One of the things that made this so easy in Cmud and would have made this easy in MUSH had I chosen to stick with that is how easy it is to just drop the xml for a trigger on the forums and have them paste it right in. In Mudlet, I've got a few options. I can pastebin the trigger text, explain the trigger type, multiline settings, fire length, other options, etc, and pastebin the script below in the same paste, then have them build a new trigger using that information. Depending on their familiarity with Mudlet, how many lines the trigger tests, and the complexity of the various options I've got set, that can take a surprising amount of time. It becomes even worse if I'm utilizing nested triggers inside of that trigger, and I make pretty extensive use of those for anything but the most basic, single-line triggers. I have the option of screenshotting the settings and pastebining the script(along with any trigger text that is too long to show in a screenshot, but that can be a lengthy process and sometimes doesn't save much time in the actual rebuilding of the trigger on their side. My final option is to export the trigger either as a whole package or through the script editor window. While this method is practically fool-proof, it requires exporting into a zip or xml file, uploading that to some remote server(dropbox, generally), having them download it from the link, then having them import it and (generally) moving it from the newly created package folder to its proper location and deleting the extraneous package that was generated. All of these methods are significantly slower and easier for a novice to Mudlet to mess up than, say, the process in MUSH: I highlight the appropriate trigger and hit the copy button, pastebin it, then have them copy from pastebin and click the paste button in MUSH. Having the ability to give aliases/triggers/etc with that speed and ease would massively increase the speed and ease of me helping set up small things or giving small bits of code to others, and would also make it possible for me to imbed some starter aliases, triggers, etc in organization help files in Imperian, meaning no risk of links expiring and makes the setup experience for new players much more pleasant. Since adding an alias through code is a little more complicated here than it is in CMUD, having something like this and removing all external links and potential user error from the process of setting someone up with starter aliases/triggers would mean A LOT in my opinion.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

1) wouldn't be against it.

2) yep, that's about it. Putting in a space is better than an invisible character that was going in before.

3) would be a good idea.

Belgarath
Discord: macjabeth#7149

Post by Belgarath »

Does Mudlet 3.0 have a cecho function that allows bolding and underlining? I haven't come across it and this is the closest function I could make to accommodate:
Code: [show] | [select all] lua
function secho( e )
  local t = e:split(" ")
  for i,v in ipairs(t) do
    v = v:trim()
    if v:starts("<") and not v:ends(">") then
      for cmd in v:gmatch("<.->") do
        t[i] = t[i]:gsub(cmd, "")
        table.insert(t, i, cmd)
      end
    end
  end
  for i,v in ipairs(t) do
    local z = v:trim()
    if z:starts("<") and z:ends(">") then
      if v:find("%d+") then
        local r,g,b = v:match("<(%d+),(%d+),(%d+)>")
        setFgColor(r,g,b)
      elseif z == "<b>" then
        setBold(true)
      elseif z == "<u>" then
        setUnderline(true)
      else
        local f = v:match("<(%w+)>")
        fg(f)
      end
    else
      echo(v)
      if i < #t then echo(" ") end
    end
  end
  resetFormat()
end
Obviously this function is very ugly, I know >.< - I hope that similar usability can be added to cecho in the next release! :)
Last edited by Belgarath on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

cecho in 3.0 does not support bold/underline/italics.

azure_glass

Post by azure_glass »

Maybe something like that:
saveProfile(getMudletHomeDir().."/my profile")
So we can save to dropbox or google drive.

AND
DeleteProfileSettings()
To delete ALL setings from profile.

AND
LoadNewProfile()
LoadNewMap()
To load newest file in folder so i can automatic update config and map.
English is not my native language. If you don't understand what im writing ask. :)
Ubuntu 17.04, Mudlet 3.1

azure_glass

Post by azure_glass »

Maybe :
setExchangeFolder() <- setting dropbox folder
Exchange() <- copy NEW mudlet script or map to profile from Exchange folder
English is not my native language. If you don't understand what im writing ask. :)
Ubuntu 17.04, Mudlet 3.1

azure_glass

Post by azure_glass »

Labels on map can have newline function "/n"
Ubuntu 17.04, Mudlet 3.1