creating an entirely new window?

reyl

creating an entirely new window?

Post by reyl »

Is there any way to make a whole new window? Like, not a miniconsole, but a draggable, alt-tabbable window? I'm running out of screen space at an alarming rate now that I've figured out gmcp :P

phasma
Discord: phasma#4694

Re: creating an entirely new window?

Post by phasma »

I ended up creating an element that can be toggled through a selection of data outputs by clicking it. Seemed the best option.

xabre

Post by xabre »

Am not sure if I understood what you mean, but might wanna take a look at openUserWindow(name) function. However, Geyser manual has a nice walkthrough on how to make a tabbed window, which I find a lot more useful.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Do you have a second monitor you want to drag said "window" to? If that is the case and you use the mapper you can (by NOT allowing a Geyser one to be created) click on the top toolbar to create an undockable mapper window which CAN be moved out of the main document interface (MDI) a.k.a. Mudlet console window to elsewhere (even another screen) which might free up some real-estate back in the console window.

Ah, RTFMing does suggest openUserWindow() will do the same sort of thing for a new window, though off the top of my head I think you are probably at the whim of your window manager as to positioning and sizing, they may not be adjustable/settable via scripting instead you will have to place/resize the resulting window by hand (on mouse/keyboard?). Such windows also may not be destroyable at present so should form a permanent rather than a temporary part of your UI.

{Also a current bug means that such undocked windows/map do not get destroyed if the profile is closed but you are running multiple profiles (multi-playing on same MUD or playing more than one MUD at a time), restarting the same profile will create new instances of those windows and using the old "zombie" ones - not dead, not alive either - will likely crash Mudlet... :( }

reyl

Post by reyl »

Hmm! Yes I'll take a very careful second look at createUserWindow(). It's not so much that I want to put the window on a second monitor as a matter of wanting a similar 'workflow' as I might have while browsing the Internet or whatever, ie the ability to put my inventory in a floating window that I'd use alt tab to flip between quickly to check stuff, or which I'd drag to one side of the screen if I was comparing it to something. But I feel like it might be safer to just use a mini console that floats over the top of the window which can be toggled rapidly with a macro, same effect but less chance of me breaking everything. Idk how but I once experimented with the undocked map window and it froze the computer I was using really badly (this was on a mac lol)

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Since the last release Geyser is also handles draggable, floating windows - see https://wiki.mudlet.org/w/Manual:Geyser ... UserWindow :)