MAC Version

Morgann

MAC Version

Post by Morgann »

I noticed that you are working on a MAC version too?

I am dying for a client like this one. Any idea on when you will release the OS X version? :geek:

Heiko
Site Admin

Re: MAC Version

Post by Heiko »

Mudlet runs on OSX natively, but I don't have a Mac at the moment so I can't provide binaries myself and I'm looking for a skilled Mac person with a decent amount of background knowledge who wants to become the current maintainer of our OSX packages. Our current OSX maintainer is currently inactive because he has some serious family business to take care of at the moment.

If you want it bad enough, however, you can invest a couple of hours and compile Mudlet on OSX from source code yourself.
We've done it before for older versions of Mudlet and I'm willing to support you technically so that we can make MAC binaries available to the public.

To compile Mudlet you need to get the latest Qt 4.5 version for OSX source code and compile Qt first. This takes about 2-3 hours depending on your computer. The next step would be to get the source code of Lua 5.1, qscintilla2.3 and the perl regex lib pcre-7.6 and compile them. This doesnt take long and I'll help you out. Then you need to compile Mudlet itself which will take up to 30 minutes.

Morgann

Post by Morgann »

I am not what you would call a coder mate. All that sounds waaaay over my head.

What I am thinking of doing though however is making a PC partition on my mac so I can play Achaea. :)

The current clients are AWFUL for mac, so I have been thinking about this for a while now. I do not want to pay for ZMud, but your client looks uber! I saw it advertised on the forums.

I take it Boot Camp will be sufficient?

M.

Post by Guest »

As you said, this is way, way, way over my head. My main reason of posting here is to be vocal about my interest in a Mac version of Mudlet. I check back almost every day, almost twice a day hoping for a Mac version to be available for download. Guess this is to say that if anyone is willing to compile... you would make some people very, very happy.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

It's not really difficult. All you need is patience. However, without the necessary background knowledge it doesn't make much sense to try. I'm sure that somebody will show up soon.
Otherwise Damian will make one again when he's back. Don't worry, and no need to use boot camp ;)

Morgann

Post by Morgann »

I have just tried out the PC version on my friend's laptop. It is great. I love the fact that you are working on the map editor too.

The Mac gaming population need a good MUD client.

I will endeavor to get by with my MUDWalker for now. Hehe.

Arkholt

Post by Arkholt »

Two questions:

First, could you post links to those somewhere visible (like on the download page or something... or make a link to Mac compilation instructions) so brave Mac users can find them easier?

Second, does installing the Qt binary work, or do I have to compile from source?

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

1.) Visit our IRC chatroom on irc server freenode channel #mudlet
2.) You should definitely use Qt 4.5 on MAC as 4.5 has some substantial improvements for MAC people. You can try a binary lib package in combination with all necessary developer packages for the header files. Some people had success with this in the past, but generally it is much better to get the source package of Qt4.5 and compile it yourself because this will save you a lot of trouble as you can be sure that you'll get everything you'll need. Unless you are very experienced, you should definitely get the sources and compile them yourself. This takes more time, but saves you a lot of trouble.

Arkholt

Post by Arkholt »

What time's best to be on the IRC channel? Doesn't ever seem to be that active... you can't just post links to the sources here? Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place, but I can only find binary installers for Qt...

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

qt4.5 sdk for mac osx:
http://www.qtsoftware.com/downloads/sdk-mac-os-cpp
These sdk binary packages are new. I'm using the same sdk to compile mudlet on windows.

qscintilla2.3:
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/sof ... a/download