Mudlet maps / map stats collection

All and any discussion and development of the Mudlet Mapper.
Vadi

Mudlet maps / map stats collection

Post by Vadi »

As mentioned in our announce post, we'd like to collect real-world Mudlet maps to use in analysis of the possible map geographies, which would feed into pathfinding optimizations. Please submit maps either publicly by posting them in this thread, or privately by emailing them to vadim.peretokin@mudlet.org. The more various maps we get, the better our analysis will be, resulting in a better client for you!

Please submit maps in Mudlet's format only, as we are unable to analyze and benchmark other kinds of maps. If you have a cMud map, you can use chris' map importer to convert it.

Maps available so far:
<none yet!>

If you can't provide a map, we'd like to hear some numbers as well:
  • total map size (including wilderness / grid-space - so all rooms possible in the MUD)
  • total number of exits, number of wilderness (grid-zone) areas, number of non-wilderness areas, number of wilderness rooms, number of non-wilderness rooms.
Thank you for yout help :)

Zaphob

Re: Mudlet maps collection for pathfinding improvement

Post by Zaphob »

Hi, I would like to help your benchmarks, but I don't have any maps produced, yet. How can I get up to speed? I think I would need to configure scripts for my mud, etc. first, which seems like a lot of work. :(

Vadi

Re: Mudlet maps / map stats collection

Post by Vadi »

Sure. Feel free to pop over to the q&a thread and we'll help you get started.

Silvine

Post by Silvine »

Here is a 'complete' world map of Bedlam. The entire world was remapped and simplified by the owner (god) I'm not sure what the official title is. I've remapped the changes. Both editions of the map exist in these forums. I've included the latest version here.
Attachments
BedlamReMappedSilv.zip
(408.77 KiB) Downloaded 710 times

Zaphob

Post by Zaphob »

Vadi wrote:If you can't provide a map, we'd like to hear some numbers as well:
total map size (including wilderness / grid-space - so all rooms possible in the MUD)
We have over 15000 rooms in the MUD.

At least that is what they are saying, until my mapper is ready to count them all!

Wilderness, grid-space, what is that supposed to mean?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Rooms that are on a grid-like map, where the distance between rooms is never more than "one". For example like this one (http://www.zombiemud.org/zmap.php?mode=ASCII), where every character is a room.

HeZkeZl

Post by HeZkeZl »

This post is a bit old, so I'm not sure if you are still looking for statistics, but I'll post them here, just in case, since we have a fairly large world (I don't have mudlet generated maps at the moment, so these are the raw stats that the mud reports to me):

Wilderness/Virtual rooms: 10,569,956
Normal Rooms: 157,396
Total Number of rooms: 10,727,352

Total Number of Exits: 222,713 (This number is just for physical rooms. I don't have the exit count for the wilderness areas, since on the server the data structures rooms and exits are created "on demand" as players traverse the map - but it can probably be assumed that there are around 40 million)

Number wilderness areas: 8
Number of non-wilderness areas: 360