Vanishing Scripts

Post Reply
DarkArtist
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:36 am

Vanishing Scripts

Post by DarkArtist »

I've run into some very frustrating problems with scripts wanting to vanish. I'll try to describe what's happening to the best of my ability but I'm really baffled.

First for a few days I was going crazy because my scripts would revert to a certain point. I'd work on them for hours and save and when restarting mudlet, all the changes would be lost. It was as if it was stuck at one particular save point. I played around with it for a few days, on two different computers and the same thing kept happening, until I made a new profile from scratch.

So now I have a profile that works and I tried to copy the profile and when I copy it, a bunch of scripts, including my main definitions script, just vanished. I tried repeatedly and every time it wants to delete these same scripts. It keeps the triggers and aliases, and most of the scripts, but it's deleting the the most important ones for some reason. The same thing happens when I try to import the saved working profile.

Now no matter what point I try to revert to, my definitions are gone. It's really frustrating. :(

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I didn't find anything like this on the forum. I'm using mudlet 2.1 on Windows 7.

User avatar
Vadi
Posts: 4941
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Re: Vanishing Scripts

Post by Vadi »

There is no such known issue.

Are you saving the profile when you're quitting Mudlet - ie, if it asks you, do you say yes? If it doesn't ask, then it is auto-saving already. If that's the case, when you're loading a profile, try selecting the latest one in the list manually.

DarkArtist
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Vanishing Scripts

Post by DarkArtist »

The problem is persisting despite my best attempts to figure it out. Everytime I restart mudlet, it hacks off several folders of scripts. Some saves persist, but most do not. The software is completely unusable to me until I figure out how to have good saves. It's really bizarre, the cuts go thru every profile version, i.e. it doesnt matter where I try to restore to, the scripts are missing from all the saves. It's always just the scripts, the triggers and aliases are fine. Please help. How can I make a clean profile that will save properly?

User avatar
Vadi
Posts: 4941
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Re: Vanishing Scripts

Post by Vadi »

There's nothing to it and nobody else I've heard experiences this problem.

How do you know it is not saving properly instead of not loading properly? Check the xml files that are saved - see if your data is in there.

DarkArtist
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Vanishing Scripts

Post by DarkArtist »

I know I've heard nothing like this, but I swear it's happening to me. I checked the xml files for the missing scripts like u suggested and they aren't there.

Here is another example of what is happening. Every time this happens, this one particular script: function updateStringAffects() reverts back to this uncompleted state:

function updateStringAffects()
stringAffects=atcp.MSDPSTRING_AFFECTS
stringAffects=string.gsub(stringAffects,"

The rest of it always gets cut off and lost. I'm at such a loss over what to do. I have a copy of the scripts that I can import back into the profile, but then when I save and close mudlet and reopen, the imported scripts get lost again and the updateStringAffects script gets reverted to the incomplete bit I just quoted above. It makes no sense.

User avatar
Heiko
Site Admin
Posts: 1548
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: Vanishing Scripts

Post by Heiko »

DarkArtist wrote:it hacks off several folders of scripts. Some saves persist, but most do not. (...) It's really bizarre, the cuts go thru every profile version, i.e. it doesnt matter where I try to restore to, the scripts are missing from all the saves. It's always just the scripts, the triggers and aliases are fine.
a) post one of your xml files
b) Which version of Mudlet are you using? (Latest ist Mudlet-2.1.)
c) Make a new profile, add a test script and report if it saves.

DarkArtist
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Vanishing Scripts

Post by DarkArtist »

Yes, test script did save on a new profile.

Using mudlet 2.1
Attachments
19-01-2014#22-12-46.xml
(657.08 KiB) Downloaded 445 times

User avatar
Heiko
Site Admin
Posts: 1548
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: Vanishing Scripts

Post by Heiko »

Your data is still in the xml. I just had a quick glance at your xml file, but I think I found the problem already in your script updateStringAffects you are using 2 illegal characters (ETX and EOT) in your string.gsub() statements. These break the script import. Remove them and things will be fine again.

--step one, cut out the system brackets and extra comma/whitespace.
stringAffects=string.gsub(stringAffects," ","") ----*=the left system bracket that I can't display here
stringAffects=string.gsub(stringAffects,", ","") ----*=the right system bracket that I can't display here

DarkArtist
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Vanishing Scripts

Post by DarkArtist »

Thank you so much man. It was really driving me crazy.

You rock!!

Post Reply