Mudlet in web browser

SparkyToes

Mudlet in web browser

Post by SparkyToes »

Hello,
I am playing around with a barebones mud (socketmud) and trying out the Mudlet.
Is it possible to run the Mudlet from a web browser?

Heiko
Site Admin

Re: Mudlet in web browser

Post by Heiko »

I am planning on integrating Mudlet into webkit to give users and MUD operators the option to create very fancy user interfaces based on web technologies & java script without sacrificing speed. This feature is the last on my list of features for Mudlet 2.0.
Mudlet 1.0 will soon be approaching feature freeze. For 2.0 I'll add a good mapper, a series of substantial performance upgrades for the trigger engine and the webkit integration.
As you can do fancy graphical user interfaces with Mudlet already, the webkit integration is just a final touch thing for the future and not really needed at this point. The trigger engine optimizations are not needed either at the moment as Mudlet is very fast, but I love speed more than anything else.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Mudlet will have a web browser in it, but Mudlet doesn't run from inside a web browser.

SparkyToes

Post by SparkyToes »

Ok, thanks.
I will continue to use the Mudlet.
Any advice on a suitable way of accessing a MUD through a web browser greatly received.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Early version of Mudlet used webkit as a display unit. We quickly gave up on this idea and developed a high speed custom display because webkit was *way* too slow for a decent Mudding experience.
Look at the available Java clients and you'll quickly learn that Java clients are way too slow also - especially if you plan on developing meaningful trigger sets. Mudding is about speed. And even if you don't want to believe me, you'll learn it the hard way once you've lost your 250th PK duel in a row due to a slow client.