Main Toolbar command line hide.

Jaren

Main Toolbar command line hide.

Post by Jaren »

Is there a way to hide and show the main toolbar (main mudlet toobar icons up top) via command line? I've scoured the forums for an answer and the best I have been able to find are these two commands.

hideToolBar()
showToolBar()

If the main toolbar had a name to reference would these work? The reason I ask is this would be very useful for a plugin suite I am making. It would save so much space and I could build a custom button to show/hide it elsewhere.

Vadi

Re: Main Toolbar command line hide.

Post by Vadi »

There isn't, but you know people can disable the toolbar and use the menubar instead?

Jaren

Post by Jaren »

I am aware of the option to switch out for the menubar however this also requires space that could otherwise be used and would also be a nice thing to be able to toggle via command line. My main problem is that many in the MUD I write plugins for tend to be of the "casual MUDer" brand of individual and I retrofit my MUD client/plugins to the point that all they have to do to play is install the program and login. This also means that they will often have little knowledge of how to use Mudlet and its features.

However, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate the help.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I see what you mean and I certainly support improving the players experience that way.

Though, are you certain about completely hiding the ability to create triggers, debug scripts, and so on? Advanced and even beginner users might not appreaciate this. It would be nice if we had a way to switch between the menubar and the toolbar, however.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

I think we do have some breakage over the menu- and tool-bars - IIRC right clicking on them does bring up a context menu with an anonymous pair of check-boxes that if un-clicked removed the items. From what I remember poking about in the Qt documentation the check-boxes are anonymous because we don't assign an Object name to either thing and the context menu is created automagically - and we have to do something to stop that happening if we don't want it. The main problem is that if you get rid of both items there is nowhere to right click on to cause the same context menu to appear to re-enable them - so accessing the Mudlet settings/preferences dialogue where other similar controls are that can re-enable them is impossible (a chicken and egg situation!)

Fixes needed:
A) Disable that context menu.
OR
B) Fix it so that meaningful names are shown & ensure that corresponding actions are added to at least the Console area (alongside the "Copy to HTML" action) and possibly the 2D Mapper one as well so the punters can at least turn one if not both back on again if they should deactivate both...

P.S. There is no Quit (Alt-F4) shortcut on the menu bar either if I recall correctly - ideally I'd like to see File (with the "Connection"/"Disconnect"/"Reconnect" actions as well as "Quit") and possible Edit (where we can put the preference or "Options") on it as well as the existing Help. I guess this is just down to look and feel preferences but it would be one that M$ Windoze users would be familiar with...

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Mudlet will show one of the menus upon start if you don't have any enabled, as a workaround for people managing to disable both.

Disabling the context menu sounds good.

I'm not sure if we need a quit button - every OS's window manager comes with one?

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Quit action on the menubar - not Quit button on the toolbuttonbar... ;-) though Alt-Space to bring up the main window menu and then C for close is almost as good. And yeah I did spot that forced re-enable in the code - so at least I should know where to hack...!

Nyyrazzilyss

Post by Nyyrazzilyss »

Vadi wrote:I see what you mean and I certainly support improving the players experience that way.

Though, are you certain about completely hiding the ability to create triggers, debug scripts, and so on? Advanced and even beginner users might not appreaciate this. It would be nice if we had a way to switch between the menubar and the toolbar, however.
Didn't see any other discussion of this, so bringing forward an old thread. It would be nice to be able to hide (uncheck) the main toolbar from script. Ideally, if the end user wanted to bring it back they could right click on the context menu/and add a checkmark to restore it.

I agree with the original poster: Ideally i'd like to get things as close to one-click setup as possible, with the script itself taking care of changing everything to (my opinion of) prefered setup.