Possible bug with denyCurrentSend

Omni

Possible bug with denyCurrentSend

Post by Omni »

Within the last week, I decided to make use of denyCurrentSend and after a number of test, I stumbled upon a possible bug with it. If you try to send something after using denyCurrentSend, it ends up not blocking what you're trying to block and instead proceeds to send it.

Can be properly tested using this code:
Code: [show] | [select all] lua
-- sysDataSendRequest event is used
event_command = "mindblast"
mindbursting = true

function denyTest()
local target = "pigeon"
local cmd = "default command"

if mindbursting then
		if event_command:match("mindblast") or event_command:match("psychicvampirism") then
			cmd = string.format("psi super mindburst %s", neostarget)
			denyCurrentSend()
			echo("command was denied")
 			mindbursting = nil
                        display(cmd)
                        send(cmd)        
		end
          end

end

Jor'Mox

Re: Possible bug with denyCurrentSend

Post by Jor'Mox »

In the case where you are sending a replacement command, like you are there, you can make it work by sending the new command and then calling denyCurrentSend. Not sure if it has issues with just denial without replacement though.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I think you're misusing this feature to create a custom alias system on top of Mudlets. I'd recommend just making an alias or making use of tempAliases().

The idea behind the function is to just block a send() and that's it. If you need input triggers that do replacements, that is exactly what aliases are for.

Omni

Post by Omni »

Vadi wrote:I think you're misusing this feature to create a custom alias system on top of Mudlets. I'd recommend just making an alias or making use of tempAliases().

The idea behind the function is to just block a send() and that's it. If you need input triggers that do replacements, that is exactly what aliases are for.
None of those would work for me needs, the issue is that as I've no way of knowing if I need to send the new command until after I've already sent the command I want to block, and this way, I save time and don't have to wait for another chance to send the necessary command, and usually by that time it means I've missed my chance. What I did to work around it was just raise an event and used another function to do the sending.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Aliases can be pretty detailed and powerful. Certainly enough to handle what you seem to be trying to do, which is switch out one specific command for one of two other specific commands when certain conditions are met. I don't exactly know the syntax for the original commands that are being sent (since you don't show the command as it would be sent), but I would guess that this would work to do what you have in your example:
Pattern: ^psi (?:mindblast|psychicvampirism)(.*)
Code:
Code: [show] | [select all] lua
if mindbursting then
   send("psi super mindburst" .. matches[2])
   mindbursting = false
else
   send(matches[1])
end
That assumes that you are setting "mindbursting" somewhere else (which matches with what you have in your example), and then sends the new command if mindbursting is true, or the old one if it isn't.