Special characters

KaVir

Re: Special characters

Post by KaVir »

Oneymus wrote:Theoretically, with downloadFile( path, URL ), it's possible to do the same in Mudlet. It's not something I've played with, but it is an interesting concept. Barring a fully-formed Mudlet package repository (with proper package support, of course), this is the next best thing. It would require that as much of the scripting as possible be moved to separate .lua files in order to ease replacement, which introduces other problems (no scriptable Events, can permanent items be deleted via script? to name a couple).
I did consider how a mud might go about handling versions - perhaps maintaining a series of "patch from version X to version X+1" files as well as the full package, and if you're more than one version out of date the mud could either send you several patch files or just resend the full package (whichever is smaller). But I'm not sure it's really necessary...even if you have to get all the scripts again each time you update, it's still going to be a pretty tiny download.

It's only really when it comes to graphics and sound files that size starts becoming a concern. In theory it should be possible for the latest script to check for those, ideally using the datestamp as well, and download any missing or outdated files individually.

On a slightly related note, I finally managed to get my protocol snippet working, and I plan to release it soon. It only takes a few minutes to add it to a mud, so I'm hoping we might see a few more mud owners taking an interest in GUIs in the near future. It uses MSDP, but I'll add my ATCP hack before I release it, so that Mudlet can use it as well.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Excellent, thank you.

KaVir

Post by KaVir »

IRE and Aardwolf have moved to GMCP, and last I heard Avalon was planning to do the same - and I'm only using an ATCP hack for clients that don't support MSDP. Poor ATCP, nobody loves it :(

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

GMCP and ATCP is pretty much the same thing. Avalon uses ATCP, IRE both ATCP and GMCP and Aardwolf GMCP only. No other MUDs that I'm aware of use any of the new protocols which is pretty much a shame as at least ATCP can be implemented in 30 minutes by an experienced admin and the benefits for users are enormous.

xtian

Post by xtian »

Oh joy! I've been trying to get client developers to think in the direction of auto-plugin-donwloads or generic GUI (maybe over an ATCP/GMPC standard)... We had made some progress on the Mushclient forums concerning the latter last year, but then the mudstandards.org-mess disrupted that development ... nobody got, what Nick was trying to develop and I guess after that he stopped his efforts. And now we have GMCP as a transport protocol and not much regarding GMCP content-modules (a generic GUI module for example).

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Just a heads up, this is in now, and KaVir's GodWars 2 MUD makes use of it. It's available for both ATCP and GMCP, and is documented here: http://wiki.mudlet.org/w/Manual:GMCP_Extensions

KaVir

Post by KaVir »

Vadi wrote:Just a heads up, this is in now, and KaVir's GodWars 2 MUD makes use of it. It's available for both ATCP and GMCP, and is documented here: http://wiki.mudlet.org/w/Manual:GMCP_Extensions
Server-side functionality is also included in my protocol snippet, if any other mud owners wish to add it to their own games. I know Bedlam already offers a Mudlet GUI, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are others.