Mudlet & Coffeemud

khyldes

Mudlet & Coffeemud

Post by khyldes »

Does anyone else have issues getting Mudlet to work with Coffeemud based muds?

Rooms don't output descriptions. Only player issued commands appear.

There is a constant "scroll" of the page if you're just idling.

This is on all versions of Mudlet.

Vadi

Re: Mudlet & Coffeemud

Post by Vadi »

Tried it out on coffeemud.net:23, and yep, that mud server does have those serious problems...

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I disabled compression, GA signal interpretation, and MXP in Mudlets MUD compatibility settings and you can see rooms then. You still get the odd characters though - and I think that's actually the prompt.

I'm inclined to think something is very buggy with the games MXP. I couldn't do 'config mxp off' to turn it off in the game either, but at least forcing Mudlet not to recognize it had a bit of improvement.

khyldes

Post by khyldes »

Yeah I disabled all of the above and toggled MXP in game (nomxp) and I could see stuff again. The game still scrolls the window every few seconds if you're just sitting idle. I have none of these problems in MushClient or TinTin++, and the MXP stuff works perfectly in MushClient, so not sure what the problem is.

KaVir

Post by KaVir »

CoffeeMUD makes extensive use of MXP, and it's open source - it'd make a good candidate for stress-testing Mudlet.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Mudlet only supports MXP links as this is the only feature that is widely supported by major MUDs.

khyldes

Post by khyldes »

Yeah, but thats missing the point. Even with MXP disabled, there are still errors in output. The constant screen scroll is one of them and has nothing to do with MXP.

Also, MXP links are not the only feature supported by major MUDs.

Seems silly that instead of maybe coming up with a solution to bring Mudlet up to speed and support one of the most advanced codebases out there people just make excuses.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

khyldes wrote:Yeah, but thats missing the point. Even with MXP disabled, there are still errors in output. The constant screen scroll is one of them and has nothing to do with MXP.
You'd need to point me to a server if you want help on what's causing the non MXP related issues.
Also, MXP links are not the only feature supported by major MUDs.
With GMCP MXP variables are superceded. I haven't found a single MUD that uses MXP images (except Materia Magica's welcome image for CMUD users). Sounds can easily be handled by other means also. Only a handful of MUDs even use xterm 256 colors. Have I missed anything? I hardly think so.
Seems silly that instead of maybe coming up with a solution to bring Mudlet up to speed and support one of the most advanced codebases out there people just make excuses.
If this is the most advanced codebase why does it cause silly issues that don't appear in more established MUD drivers?

Again, I'm willing to help, but you'd need to supply a server link first and change to a more friendly tone.

KaVir

Post by KaVir »

Heiko wrote:You'd need to point me to a server if you want help on what's causing the non MXP related issues.
The official CoffeeMUD is running at coffeemud.net 23, although the codebase is also available for download.
Heiko wrote:With GMCP MXP variables are superceded. I haven't found a single MUD that uses MXP images (except Materia Magica's welcome image for CMUD users).
CoffeeMUD has a lot of inline graphics, and offers a custom client called "Siplet" which displays them, all done through MXP. Other clients either draw the graphics or ignore them, so it could be useful to find out what is causing the conflict. If the problem is with CoffeeMUD then I'm sure Bo Zimmerman (the developer) would want to fix it, while if the problem is with Mudlet not responding correctly to certain MXP tags then it's possible other muds may run into similar issues in the future.

I agree that there are better alternatives for graphics and sound (GMCP, MSDP, ATCP, etc), but CoffeeMUD doesn't support or use any of those. There are also muds like Avalon (the German version), which uses a wider range of MXP features (such as gauges and out-of-band data transfer), so it's difficult to know what features muds might use in the future - particularly as my snippet adds MXP support, and I know that at least a few muds have been experimenting with it.

khyldes

Post by khyldes »

If this is the most advanced codebase why does it cause silly issues that don't appear in more established MUD drivers?
These issues only happen within Mudlet. Tested CoffeeMUD with every other available client, in OS X & Windows, and not one of these issues replicates itself. Even with ALL MXP features disabled (all images, links, sounds, everything) disabled, the same issues persist while using Mudlet. Now there might be something that needs to be addressed in CoffeeMUD as well, but the first thing that should probably be checked is the client itself. If it's determined that CoffeeMUD needs something fixed/updated, I'm fairly certain that Bo ZImmerman would push an update (as he's been developing this codebase for years and pushing regular updates since.. 2000).