Vyzor, UI Manager for Mudlet

Share your scripts and packages with other Mudlet users.
Oneymus

Re: Vyzor, UI Manager for Mudlet [Beta?]

Post by Oneymus »

I will be maintaining Vyzor in its own repo for my sanity, but I am adding it to mudlet-lua via fork and passing those changes up to Vadi. While it could exist entirely within mudlet-lua, for the time being at least, I feel better maintaining some semblance of ownership, even if this implies sole responsibility for maintenance and updating.

It is very likely that, when I feel I've reached a point where I can't do anything more for Vyzor, I will let my personal repo lapse in favour of the mudlet-lua version.

However, if it's the case that other people would feel more comfortable contributing to Vyzor were it to reside primarily within the mudlet-lua project, I'm willing to go that direction. It just seems to be the nature of these projects of small scale that the original developer is the sole developer.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Well, you won't be giving up anything and committing still straight into the mudlet-lua subfolder. It's just that's the easiest way us uneducated git people can make this work.

Daagar

Post by Daagar »

And the real advantage of github, is that regardless of who 'owns' the code, anyone can fork and submit pull requests. Ie., if anyone stomps all over the Vyzor code, they can just send Oneymus a pull request and he can add it should he so choose.

For packaging purposes, it looks like submodules would work. That let's Heiko or whoever set a release to a specific commit of Vyzor for the next release. Check out this repo for an example of how they have submodules set up (look in the 'bundle' directory: https://github.com/Lokaltog/vimfiles

Oneymus

Post by Oneymus »

The rough draft, first pass version of the API documentation is up at wiki.mudlet.org/w/VyzorGuide. It's long and probably full of holes. But it's there.

Please look it over. Anywhere you think needs better explanation, send me a message. As I am intimately familiar with Vyzor, it's hard for me to judge what does and does not need more in-depth explanation.

My next task is to clean Vyzor up. I have a number of small changes on the ToDo list. In addition to those, I want to begin the process of optimization (local functions, reducing redundancy, ...) and input checking. Right now, it's very easier to break Vyzor in any of a number of ways.

Used properly, of course, it works wonderfully. But, as we all know, Joe User never uses anything properly. =D

As always, feedback and whatnot.

Orlendr

Post by Orlendr »

So does this thing let you easily make your own GUI or something?

Oneymus

Post by Oneymus »

Orlendr wrote:So does this thing let you easily make your own GUI or something?
That's the idea. It handles all the positioning and size of widgets dynamically, with a parent->child hierarchy of Frames filled with content via Components.

Do you have any specific questions?

Orlendr

Post by Orlendr »

Hmmm, not yet but I probley will...

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

Maintaining it in your own repo for your own sanity and maintaining a feeling of ownership is a plenty good reason, I just wanted to make sure there -was- one before we all tried to engineer our way out of a nonproblem =)

Oneymus

Post by Oneymus »

Understandable. And I would haven't gone this direction if I wasn't the one taking on most of the responsibility, as I'll be maintaining this particular mudlet-lua fork and pushing it back up to Vadi's.

Jarrin

Post by Jarrin »

Are there any basic walkthroughs that I could follow while I get my footing? I'm looking to create some guages and a compass in a container in the bottom left of my screen where the sample vials are supposed to be. I can't seem to get the sample GUI to display any images, so that is really stumping me.

When I click the walkthrough link on the wiki there isn't anything there.