Mapper now able to map non IRE MUDs

Lucky24

Re: Mapper now able to map non IRE MUDs

Post by Lucky24 »

Wow, this looks great!

I have one question/feature request:

My mud (TEC) has room "sizes", aka, "a large plaza" can be 4x the size of a "narrow alley", and thus you have to walk 4 "narrow alleys" to make up the distance of one "large plaza". Is there any way to join these together, or would I have to write some custom meta-data on each node, and calculate that movement/adjust inputs into the mapper with some sort of middleware function?

Here's a simple map of a part of the gameworld, note that a "portal" wouldn't work because you couldn't connect two portals to the road at the bottom:

http://xfuj.com/tec/marnevel/dumps.html
Last edited by Lucky24 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

I can't see why our current mapper shouldn't be able to support this type of MUD. Instead of big and small rooms I'm using variable exit lengths. What MUD is it?

Lucky24

Post by Lucky24 »

TEC: The Eternal City

It's a standard N,NE,E,SE,S,SW,W,NW,Down,Up world. I have all the triggers necessary to map things, including a script that does a "sizeup" on each room to get its size when I enter.

I wasn't sure what 'v' was in k,v = pairs(GMCP.exits), but from your comments I think you're saying I just basically enter 4 for 'v' where 4 is a room 4 times larger than the smallest. And then, the mapper would know that exit drops you off 4 coords away in that direction? That's pretty cool!

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

The next Mudlet prerelease will includes a preliminary version of the automatic map reorganization code that maps e.g. the academy in Aardwolf perfectly regardless of how you chose to explore it. Here's an example in action:

Lucky24

Post by Lucky24 »

wooow. Pretty cool :D

Yep, looks awesome, as long as there's a way to manually enter exit lengths as TEC doesn't have any way to uniquely identify rooms (some room descriptions are *identical*), so I think I'll just have to tell the mapper when to connect to an existing room and when to make space inside for new rooms.

Can't wait to get my hands on this! I <3 mudlet.

Gauroth

Post by Gauroth »

Heiko wrote:The next Mudlet prerelease will includes a preliminary version of the automatic map reorganization code that maps e.g. the academy in Aardwolf perfectly regardless of how you chose to explore it. Here's an example in action:
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I was trying to figure out a similar situation as Lucky and ran across this thread. Has the code for automatic map reorganization been released yet? If so how would one put it to use?

Daagar

Post by Daagar »

The stubs for solveRoomCollisions() are in the code, but the actual logic isn't yet there (at least, not in the version of code at github). I've begun working on an aardwolf mapper myself, and implemented a cheesy version that pushes colliding rooms out of the way. A far cry from a true solver, but it helps.

I'm not sure my code is exactly useful enough to release to the general public, but it is out on github if you want to poke around and see (bad) code.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Link?

Daagar

Post by Daagar »

https://github.com/daagar/damp (you'll see I have a project for 3-Kingdoms as well, but it doesn't integrate with chris' CMUD map importer so there is no announcement for it).

I'd only try using it if you are very brave, and use beer-goggles if you peek at the .lua files. I haven't documented anything yet, and it is very feature incomplete (don't expect speedwalks yet, not all aliases present, generally unfinished). But, it does seem to map out Aylor and Mesolar okay. I'm a total newbie to Aardwolf, so I don't really know all the ins and outs of what to expect - I just really wanted to see what GMCP did (and every mud should use it, based on what I've seen).

To install, simply do a git clone git://github.com/daagar/damp.git <your Mudlet Home Dir>/<your profile>/scripts, which would be something like mudlet-data/profiles/Aardwolf/scripts in linux or Users/<user>/.config/mudlet/profiles/Aardwolf/scripts in windows. Then 'import' the daag_aard.xml file to establish the base aliases. Open a map window, and type 'dminit' to start things up. Wander around and there you go. I believe I have debug turned on by default, so it is going to be very spammy... set the appropriate var to false to quiet it down :)

I'll have better docs on the github page someday when things are a bit more feature complete (speedwalks, mapping "nomap" areas), assuming Heiko doesn't pull the rug out with his super solveRoomCollision version first :)