[Windows 10] Unable to install packages

zakman

[Windows 10] Unable to install packages

Post by zakman »

Hi all,

Just installed Mudlet 3.0.0-delta on Windows 10, and am having a heck of a time installing packages, particularly svof for Achaea.

When I try to install the svof zipfile through the package manager, the "Installing" progress bar pops up for a few seconds, then disappears. Nothing changes in the list of packages installed, and the svof install command doesn't do anything. I have tried installing the xml files themselves separately, but they don't work either - I enter a command and it will just sit there, doing nothing. No errors pop up, either.

I have also tried this out on the previous version of Mudlet, but no dice. The annoying part is that simple .xml scripts *will* install and work, but I can't get anything more complicated than that to install.

Any advice would be appreciated.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: [Windows 10] Unable to install packages

Post by SlySven »

You might get somewhere if you can unzip the module/package to an empty directory (preserving folders) and re-compressing everything into a new archive and try using that - some zip archivers do not always include the zero size zip entries that are the correct way to indicate sub-directories in an archive and I have found that the Mudlet application does not do well without those if there are sub-directories in the package - the display that GUI type archive management programs produce does not always make it clear either as some seem to skip showing them IIRC.

The zip handling code is particularly deficient in error handling or producing error messages in that area at present and it is on my to-do list (it is down as one of the seven of the 3.0.0 release stoppers on our bug-tracker!)

zakman

Re: [Windows 10] Unable to install packages

Post by zakman »

Just to respond (and necro, sorry) to my own thread, what finally worked was:

- Setting the shortcut to always Run as Administrator.
- Disabling McAfee real-time scanning before installing a package. (probably the most important of the two).

Disabled, installed, restarted Mudlet a couple of times, and was good to go.