Installing mudlet on a secondary hard-drive/portable drive

Manni

Installing mudlet on a secondary hard-drive/portable drive

Post by Manni »

There was talk of this four years ago, but has the ability to move where mudlet stores the .config folder been added yet? For the first time I'm finding myself in a situation where I don't want mudlet storing files on my C drive due to limited space. I have plenty of storage, just not on my primary C drive.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Installing mudlet on a secondary hard-drive/portable dri

Post by SlySven »

Which OS are you using - On *nux I had some success with copying the entire ~/.config/mudlet sub-tree to a different device that I had full write control to, renaming the original (for testing - would delete after confirming that everything worked) and then using a symbolic-link on Linux (has to be "symbolic" to cross device or partition boundaries) to form the ~/.config/Mudlet directory from a link to the new destination. For example with my /media/spare partition
In my terminal window I wrote:mkdir /media/spare/slysven
mkdir /media/spare/slysven/mudlet
cp -x -r -p ~/.config/mudlet/* /media/spare/slysven/mudlet/
mv ~/.config/mudlet ~/.config/mudlet-old
ln -s -i /media/spare/slysven/mudlet/ ~/.config/mudlet
though IIRC you have to have superuser privileges to make a link to a DIRECTORY and you need to tweak the destination directory to suit your situation...

On other OS's it might be possible to do the same sort of thing but YMMV.

[Edit:] Slapping himself on the side of his face - err - Drive C = Windoze :oops: - but it might work :?

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

You may be able to do something similar to http://forums.mudlet.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1731 which is essentially what SlySven described above. There's syntax for use on a windows system later on down, believe it's mklink.exe you need.

Manni

Post by Manni »

Symlinks work near what I was looking for, while it's not quite what I'd like it can work well enough for now, and I run both Linux and windows so both work for me. Thank you both