Background ANSI colors not displaying.

Ornir

Background ANSI colors not displaying.

Post by Ornir »

Hi everyone!

When I am using Mudlet, I do not see background colors on ansi-enabled text. Is there a way to turn this on or otherwise enable it, or is it just not supported by Mudlet?

To test, you can create an account on luminarimud.com 4100 and type : say @B@=Testing background colors!

It should be grey text on a bright blue background. This displays correctly in MUSHClient, the background code is simply ignored and stripped by mudlet.

Thanks!

Ripley (Ornir)

keneanung
Site Admin
Discord: keneanung#2803

Re: Background ANSI colors not displaying.

Post by keneanung »

I had a look at this in both the mudlet and the luminari code on github but I was not able to check the live communication with wireshark yet.

Fom what I gathered from the source te @= tag is supposed to inverse the colors (ANSI tag 7). Mudlet does currently not support that tag and probably won't in near future.

Ornir

Post by Ornir »

Is there a technical reason for Mudlet not supporting that tag or is it just because nobody has implemented it yet?

keneanung
Site Admin

Post by keneanung »

It is currently not implemented. But have a look at https://github.com/Mudlet/Mudlet/pull/223 where strikeThrough support is currently being added.

After rereading that PR and the comments I revise my statement of "probably won't in near future", but that is something the core developers need to decide. I'll point them here so they can leave a statement about it.

Ornir

Post by Ornir »

Thanks. Reading the comments on that thread, I see that vadi is against implementing things that no one uses, so here is how we use the reverse ANSI codes :

In our in-game wilderness map we display various colors and characters to represent sector types, etc. Having the reverse colors allows us to increase the variety of glyphs we can use for our maps as well as present more aesthetic and interesting ANSI/ASCII art where appropriate (e.g. to represent large structures on the wilderness map.) Our main plan was to use Mudlet as a base for a set of custom scripts that we would provide. The lack of this functionality does limit our ability to support Mudlet, once we outgrow the current set of glyphs.

It would be very appreciated if this functionality could be added.

keneanung
Site Admin

Post by keneanung »

I honestly fail to see how using the inverse differs from setting the foreground/background colours appropriately.

ETA: by "setting the foreground/background appropriately" I mean using the ANSI tags for FG/BG colours: 30-37 for indexed foreground colours and 38 for xterm256 foreground as well as 40-47 for indexed background colours and 48 for xterm256 background.

Ornir

Post by Ornir »

Well, I didnt know that was possible, but now that you brought it to my attention that seems to be a more widely supported way to do the same thing. Thanks!

keneanung
Site Admin

Post by keneanung »

The comments to ProtocolOutput herehttps://github.com/zusuk/LuminariMUD/blob/ab03e3ed9fb75079ddd9823005c8dd957f68f2d0/src/protocol.h suggest that Luminari already supports fg/bg for xterm mode. Not sure about indexed colours though.

Ornir

Post by Ornir »

Yeah we support that. BTW that was our release codebase - It is over a year old now. The current game looks a lot different these days.

Thanks for your help!