What does the client mean by "server address"?

Allanon

What does the client mean by "server address"?

Post by Allanon »

I can't find any info on the most basic of information about using mudlet, what it means by server address. I tried putting in the web address of the mud, as well as its login page, and neither works. Please explain what mudlet means by "server address."

Vadi

Re: What does the client mean by "server address"?

Post by Vadi »

The MUD needs to give you this information - their server address and port. Usually MUDs have the prominently displayed (unless they are peddling their own client for you to use).

Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Well when connecting on Discworld it says "You are connecting using flash on port 4242. To connect using websockets, make sure you have an up-to-date browser which supports this, and open the websocket version instead.
LPmud version : FluffOS v2.27 on port 4242."

So I know what the port is. But I have no idea what the server address would be.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Try the web address of the MUD but without the http:// - so in Mudlets case, if it were a MUD - mudlet.org

Angie

Post by Angie »

Taken from the Discworld webpage: "connect to discworld.starturtle.net on port 23 or 4242" - that means discworld.starturtle.net is the server address and you can use either port 23 or 4242.
Angie @ Midnight Sun 2
Alayla @ God Wars 2

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Port 23 is the standard (privileged, because it is less than 1024) port number for Telnet (an unencrypted) service, which is what MUDs originally were, whereas 4242 may possibly be for a more secure link - though you'd have to see if that is the case for that Mud.

Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Ah, that did work, thank you. I had tried the address but didn't realize I needed to remove the http:// part, and had been thinking that couldn't be it. I will try using the Discworld UI now, thanks again!