Fedora 20 problems

beren

Fedora 20 problems

Post by beren »

Mudlet (installed using the default linux installer) crashes immediately with a segmentation fault in Fedora 20.

I attempted to compile it from source (using Qt-Creator) but FC20 uses lua5.2 and it has certain incompatibilities with lua5.1 which mudlet is using atm so it was not possible. The code would need either patching or setting a really custom build environment.

Any change you might look into the problem ?

xabre

Re: Fedora 20 problems

Post by xabre »

Well, unless devs take a look and patch source for Lua5.2, you'll have to find a way to intall Lua5.1 alongside 5.2. Haven't been using Fedora in a long while,so can't really pinpoint directions, but I'm sure there are ready-made packages out there.

phasma
Discord: phasma#4694

Post by phasma »

Yeah, I built on Mageia a few weeks back. I ended up just building in a chroot. Seemed the easiest method.

beren

Post by beren »

Well to be frank I am hoping for devs to take a look into it for 2 reasons.
1. Fedora is usually on the cutting edge of nightly builds but sooner rather than later most systems will move to lua5.2. Installing lua5.1 is not really an option since it will most likely mess too many things with the rest of the system and will lead to a dependency hell
2. Even if I build in a chroot env I am not 100% certain it will do much since the provided installer that bundles all its dependencies crashes with a Seg Fault. Since no debuginfo packages are provided it is really hard to know what the exact problem is and the kernel dump is not particularly helpful, for me at least since I am not familiar with the project code.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

1. We aren't migrating to Lua 5.2 soon, and neither is most of the Lua world. Fedora should be providing Lua 5.1 packages for a long while to come if they know anything about how Lua works. We aren't hopping onto Lua 5.2 because we have a strict policy of keeping backwards compatibility - there's no reason to break people's stuff.

2. What does the default Linux installer say when it crashes? I tried to make it work for some version of Fedora, but it seems to be impossible to keep up with every Linux OS out there. A common fix has been to delete libc that's bundled in the bin/ folder - some OS's require it to work, some crash with it.

phasma

Post by phasma »

Delete libc, heh. Yeah, I'd strongly recommend you DO NOT do this, especially on a Redhat system. This -will- break your entire OS.

Just compile it, mate. If you encounter any issues, just post on here. I've built on Redhat dozens of times and can provide any necessary pointers if needed.

beren

Post by beren »

The installer does not crash and everything is installed fine.
I did remove libc for the mudlet directory (had to do that in FC19 as well) but as soon as I run mudlet I get a segmentation fault. I can send you the core dump if you so want.

As for lua5.2 and compiling from source The problem seems to be the use of LUA_GLOBALSINDEX that was depreciated in 5.2.
In parts of the code lua_getfield( L, LUA_GLOBALSINDEX, ..... ) was replaced by lua_getglobal( L, ....) that is compatible both in 5.1 and 5.2. But this has not happened everywhere.

phasma

Post by phasma »

As standard, on most systems, the installer crashes due to an incorrectly pathed library. Just symlink the lib it's whining about to /usr/lib and it will then work fine.

beren

Post by beren »

The installer does NOT crash. The installation completes without a problem.

The crashes started when I updated from FC19 to FC20. Mudlet was already installed on FC19 and was working without any problems. I just tried doing a clean install as a 'Hail Mary'

Btw if you can provide with your src.pro file that might be a good start in order to manage to compile mudlet from source. Fedora does provide backwards compatible lua libraries so will try to sort out the necessary includes to use those.

beren

Post by beren »

It seems that the Segmentation Fault was caused by the libpthread.so.0 lib that was included in the mudlet bin directory.
remove that and Mudlet runs without problems.

That said it is a pity that there is not a proper Fedora RPM for such a great client.
Just to get things clear to get mudlet to compile I would need Qt5 , lua5.1 & luaJIT.
I will set up a completely clean system and try to get a working RPM for Fedora20 at least.