modify Mudlet package?

Zaphob

modify Mudlet package?

Post by Zaphob »

Hi all,

I am not into package building much, yet, but I am thinking about maybe trying to build something for my MUD.

I would like the MUD users to be able to download a modified Mudlet maybe, so they already have the settings for this MUD ready.

This would include for example:
* A profile for MUD connection
* GMCP enabled
* Some scripts and triggers
* etc.

Is there any way to do this, and maybe even documented somewhere? Which operating systems are supported?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Vadi

Re: modify Mudlet package?

Post by Vadi »

You can do such a thing - by having your MUD install the Mudlet user your package(s) upon connection: http://wiki.mudlet.org/w/Mudlet_Packages . This can even include UIs and scripts like basic sippers. See GodWars 2 for a UI example.

The advantages of this over creating your own Mudlet builds are many.

Zaphob

Post by Zaphob »

Yes I understand this option. However, this will not take care of the other two points I mentioned: GMCP, connection. I am thinking about building something for new players, who don't know Mudlet, don't know Muds, don't know my Mud either. I don't want them to struggle with instructions like:

1) Download Mudlet from here
2) Download Packages from there
3) Open Mudlet, input connection details like this
4) Open Package manager, import Packages too
5) Open Settings, enable GMCP there

And these are just 2-3 points that came to mind spontaneously. I am sure I can think of more.

Hmm, on the other hand, maintaining a build of my own can indeed be trouble. I know what you mean. Damn.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

You don't have to download or install packages. Cross that out, it is automatic.

Setting up the connection parameters isn't though, nor enabling GMCP. I'd like to think on how we can improve this.

icesteruk

Post by icesteruk »

Vadi wrote:You don't have to download or install packages. Cross that out, it is automatic.

Setting up the connection parameters isn't though, nor enabling GMCP. I'd like to think on how we can improve this.
Auto enable GMCP and have it so people have to turn it off? since pretty sure most people want it on?

OR have the option on the 'profile' creation

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

GMCP causes enough problems for us non-GMCP folk... adding an extra step to make it stop breaking things would likely be a problem for new users.

Making it an option when making a profile would make sense though.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

GMCP isn't supported by all MUDs, and some MUDs implement both ATCP and GMCP. GMCP has matured well enough in those cases however - we could look into autoenabling it if the server asks.

The login issue with GMCP is Mudlets fault (namely - mine). It is unfortunate however that even with the fix being available for half a year now, we haven't been able to get a release out to cover the issue.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

One idea would be support mudlet:// or even better, telnet:// links which would provide a server and a port. However given how Mudlet operates on a per-profile basis (and it has to, really) this would create a problem - which profile to use - what to do if there are none, there is one, or there are many that match?

It's always best to use existing standards, so I looked for the telnet:// URI scheme. The most I found was this RFC - there doesn't seem to be anything accepted (if anyone could find something better, that'd be great). The RFC allows us to specify the host and the port, but it doesn't seem to allow for custom data - where we could have stuck a profile name in.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

You could make it create/use a specific profile associated with that sort of usage. So when you click that type of link, it makes a profile for it, which is then used again web you click that (or identical) link in the future.

Zaphob

Post by Zaphob »

What is needed for me to add my MUD to the pre-configured connections in Mudlet? Which conditions must be met? For example, it is German.