Grid Map Character Color

rGoatr

Grid Map Character Color

Post by rGoatr »

I am new to mudlet and just completed a basic mapper and speedwalker for the lp mud i am playing. I am doing some grid mode wilderness mapping and currently using Custom Env Colors and assigning my established numbers along with a character and weight to each room based on terrain.

However, the room tiles are taking on the environment color and I would like to have the characters themselves be colored based on environment and the room background be transparent.

I am using custom environment #'s 17-45 so far to uniquely identify terrain.

I am loading into the custom env table using:
setCustomEnvColor(id,r,g,b,alpha)

But this only affects the background tile and I cannot find how to set the color of the character I assign the room using setRoomChar(id,"x")

Vadi

Re: Grid Map Character Color

Post by Vadi »

The room character colour isn't customizable at the moment - it just autodetects its colour to stand out on the background. Adding an ability to set the colour of the character is something I agree with and need myself.

rGoatr

Post by rGoatr »

Thank you, now I can go back to working on something productive rather than trying to find something that isn't there. I was thrown off by the picture in the technical manual that shows a grid mode map colored the way I desire. http://wiki.mudlet.org/w/File:GridMapExample.PNG

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I'm not sure how to replicate that either.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

This image was done with older versions of Mudlet that still supported a special optimized grid map mode which I have removed. In the next version you'll be able to set both fg and bg room colors.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Vadi wrote:The room character colour isn't customizable at the moment - it just autodetects its colour to stand out on the background. Adding an ability to set the colour of the character is something I agree with and need myself.
I don't recall if this was the only recent topic posting on this but whilst poking around in the mapper code that produces those black or white coloured letters to draw over the room square/circle on the 2D map I saw that a whole range of single character QPixmaps for ASCII characters in a range (possibly 16 or more standard) of colours, I don't recall the exact number but that only a dark and very light gray (possibly normal white) were chosen based on the room colour. At the time I thought this may have been a remnant of old code but perhaps it was someone trying to extend something.

Given that I would like to change the "letter" to be any displayable grapheme from a chosen "map character" font (could, with care be a proportional font, as they typically have more implemented glyphs than a monospace one from the same font family and we'd only be using one "symbol" so spacing wouldn't be an issue) a pre-build set of QPixmaps would not be particularly useful but by caching the ones used the painter could still be made faster than having to generate the graphics we'd want in the colour chosen for each room's "letter" each time the map was repainted.