simple highligher

icesteruk

simple highligher

Post by icesteruk »

So for past week I been trying to make a simple highlighter as Ive tried to use the one on the forums but seems wont do what im after..

I have
Code: [show] | [select all] lua

function addEnemy(name)

name = name:title()
if mayhem.list.enemies == nil then
mayhem.list.enemies = {}
end

if not table.contains(mayhem.list.enemies, name) then
table.insert(mayhem.list.enemies, name)
end
if mayhem.list.highlighter.color[name] then killTrigger(mayhem.list.highlighter.color[name]) end

mayhem.list.highlighter.color[name] = tempRegexTrigger("\\b(?i)" .. name .. "\\b", [[colorAllInLine(matches[1], mayhem.list.highlighter.enemycolor)]])

cecho("<red>" .. name .. " <white>has been added as an enemy")

end

to Enemy the person.

So my question is HOW Would I store that so when I login again it doesn't 'disappear' and I have to redo it all again?

Tagon

Re: simple highligher

Post by Tagon »

icesteruk

Post by icesteruk »

Tagon wrote:Short answer, database: http://wiki.mudlet.org/w/Manual:Database_Functions
Don't know how to use databases, guess I'll keep searching online, Thanks

Tagon

Post by Tagon »

That's why I posted the link :)

icesteruk

Post by icesteruk »

Tagon wrote:That's why I posted the link :)
And YES Ive looked at the link way before you posted it, STILL DONT KNOW HOW TO DO THEM

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

You can use table.save and table.load to store a regular table in an external file. Then you save it when you add new info, and load it when you connect. No need to mess with databases.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I'd use tables as well. This highlighting script makes use of them as the backend as well.

icesteruk

Post by icesteruk »

Jor'Mox wrote:You can use table.save and table.load to store a regular table in an external file. Then you save it when you add new info, and load it when you connect. No need to mess with databases.
But how would I recall the 'name' to be highlighted??

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Well, I use a table that uses names as keys, and stores various info about people in a sub table as the corresponding value... So when I have a word that might be a name that I need to highlight, I check to see if there is a value for that word in my name table, and if there is, I highlight it.

So maybe something like this:
if nameList[name] then -- if you need to check for things like a trailing 's, you need to be a bit more careful here
   selectString(name,1) -- if you are concerned with the same name showing up twice in a line, you need something a bit more involved here
   setFgColor(r,g,b) -- assign values here as appropriate
end

icesteruk

Post by icesteruk »

Jor'Mox wrote:Well, I use a table that uses names as keys, and stores various info about people in a sub table as the corresponding value... So when I have a word that might be a name that I need to highlight, I check to see if there is a value for that word in my name table, and if there is, I highlight it.

So maybe something like this:
if nameList[name] then -- if you need to check for things like a trailing 's, you need to be a bit more careful here
   selectString(name,1) -- if you are concerned with the same name showing up twice in a line, you need something a bit more involved here
   setFgColor(r,g,b) -- assign values here as appropriate
end

I rewriting the highlighter thing on forums but made it use a variable like 'list.enemy' so I just have to do, colorEnemy(nameoftable) when logged in. and I save said table when I logout etc as I do with everything else

Thank tho ALOT, :)