Map labels and zoom speed

Curudan

Map labels and zoom speed

Post by Curudan »

I am having trouble creating map labels in a consistent size and style. It seems that the size of the font you specify is only used relative to your zoom level on the map, and the bounding box you specify only serves to cut off the text if you guess the font size too high. At the moment my attempts usually go something like this: I drag the box and guess at the font size, then delete it because the text is too small, so I try again with a larger font, and delete it because it was cut off. Eventually I get a label that doesn't really fit very well, and is probably a little bit cut off, but I settle for it.

Isn't there some way to define the size of the label based on the bounding box? Maybe it could try placing the text until it finds the largest size that fits. Is there something I'm missing?

Also, I'm experimenting with with larger room spacing on my mapper, so I can fit troublesome rooms into the grid. But I'm running into a snag; when I double the room spacing, I also double the time it takes to zoom using the mouse wheel; where it once took 11 flicks of the mouse wheel to zoom from the center of the city to the whole city, it now takes 22! The zoom speed was already much to slow for me, and it is now nearly unbearable.

Is there some way to change the zoom speed?

EDIT: One last tiny problem; the mapper seems to alternate between black and white characters on rooms depending on the room color, but in at least one case, this choice is less than ideal. I have some rooms colored a straight green, 0,255,0, and the mapper will place a white character on those. This is barely readable, especially when I am further zoomed out. I believe a black character would stand out better.

Silvine

Re: Map labels and zoom speed

Post by Silvine »

I used a function you can find here
forums.mudlet.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2730&start=40
to change the size of all my labels to make them consistent. That might give you a starting point.

Curudan

Post by Curudan »

Silvine wrote:I used a function you can find here
forums.mudlet.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2730&start=40
to change the size of all my labels to make them consistent. That might give you a starting point.
Thanks! I was able to use that function to make all of my labels a consistent size. The initial label construction is still a little frustrating, but this works a lot better.

I also worked out a solution for my zoom woes; I made an AutoHotKey script to repeat a mouse wheel scroll up or down event several times whenever it intercepts one. It's a little awkward, but it works.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I agree that the current label creation methodology is suboptimal. Unfortunately the UI design was not consulted during its creation...