Logging

memgtdg

Logging

Post by memgtdg »

Hi,
Can anyone help me with a logging problem please? When logging my session the logfile doesn't seem to capture user input. Is this a known issue?

I have shown an example below. The first bit is what is shown on the screen, the second bit is from the logfile:

"System Message: Logging has started.
look
Cluttered Weaponsmith.
Pools of light shine out, here and there, like luminous shadows. The sky is alive with the day-time.
Rows of lethal (and possibly illegal) weapons lie around here, all gleaming brightly in the sunlight
that streams in through the gaps in some heavily shuttered windows. Admiring the work on a nearby
poleaxe, you are amazed that something that appears so good can be quite so expensive. The man
sitting in the chair with a crossbow on his lap though seems to be doing pretty well out of the
business
though, as you see many expensive rings and trinkets around the place, also for sale. Maybe they are
charged with a spell of some kind. Type GOODS for a list of goods sold here.
Pools of light shine out, here and there, like luminous shadows. The sky is alive with the day-time.
You notice exits southwest, and down (a closed door).
1232h, 1232m e- routes
You notice exits southwest, and down (a closed door).
1232h, 1232m e- bne
block ne
You are now blocking movement to the northeast.
1232h, 1232m e-
System Message: Logging has been stopped."

"Cluttered Weaponsmith.
Pools of light shine out, here and there, like luminous shadows. The sky is alive with the day-time. Rows of lethal (and possibly illegal) weapons lie around here, all gleaming brightly in the sunlight that streams in through the gaps in some heavily shuttered windows. Admiring the work on a nearby poleaxe, you are amazed that something that appears so good can be quite so expensive. The man sitting in the chair with a crossbow on his lap though seems to be doing pretty well out of the business
though, as you see many expensive rings and trinkets around the place, also for sale. Maybe they are charged with a spell of some kind. Type GOODS for a list of goods sold here.
Pools of light shine out, here and there, like luminous shadows. The sky is alive with the day-time. You notice exits southwest, and down (a closed door).
1232h, 1232m e-
Pools of light shine out, here and there, like luminous shadows. The sky is alive with the day-time. You notice exits southwest, and down (a closed door).
1232h, 1232m e-
You are now blocking movement to the northeast.
1232h, 1232m e- "

Thanks

Jor'Mox

Re: Logging

Post by Jor'Mox »

Logging is specifically designed to only capture output from the MUD, so it isn't so much an "issue" as it is a design choice.

memgtdg

Post by memgtdg »

Thank you for coming back to me so quickly.

That is a shame. The MUD that I play has quite intense PvP combat so it is useful to review logs after fights to see where improvements can be made. Without user input being shown in the logs it will make this really difficult.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

I don't really use logging, so I don't know the ins and outs of it, but you might try echoing commands you send, to see if the echos get logged. It wouldn't be especially elegant, but it would be a way to get around the limitation imposed by logging as it is.

phasma
Discord: phasma#4694

Post by phasma »

You can quite quickly and easily save the current buffer to a HTML. There are a number of scripts on these forums to facilitate such. Just use the terms 'html logger' - That should find them.

If that's any good for you, let me know and I will post my version up here.

memgtdg

Post by memgtdg »

Brilliant! Thanks very much.

I found the screendump script which is perfect as it includes timestamps as well:

http://forums.mudlet.org/viewtopic.php? ... screendump

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

The next release has a completely rewritten logging system that logs everything as seen on the screen.