System OS went into "Low Graphics" mode

AlterAeonUser

System OS went into "Low Graphics" mode

Post by AlterAeonUser »

This is the first time my system (Ubuntu 12.04) has ever done this. I had to force a reboot and as a result, lost everything in the way of aliases, triggers etc. :?

Can anybody point me to where they would have been saved or do I have to start from scratch? I didn't have but 13 triggers, all simple, and a couple aliases. But I'd rather not recreate everything if I don't have to.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Jor'Mox

Re: System OS went into "Low Graphics" mode

Post by Jor'Mox »

Assuming you have saved them at any point, then you can recover them from in your profile folder. I have a different OS, so I can't say exactly where you would find it, but if you can find out where the one font that ships with Mudlet is (VeraMono.ttf is one of the font files I see), it should be there. In that folder, open the profiles folder, and look for yours. Odds are there are only a few. In that folder, you want the current folder. In there, you should see a number of XML files, named by date and time. If you are comfortable looking through XML, you can view the most recent of these until you find one that has all your stuff. Then just delete anything after that file. If not, copy a handful of the most recent, and import them into Mudlet one at a time. One of them should hopefully have your stuff.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

You can also select those older backups with the 'load profile' option (by default it always loads latest).

AlterAeonUser

Post by AlterAeonUser »

So, it seems my "latest" profile is from.. 4 days ago, and every one I've loaded has the default GUI stuff (which, while nice, doesn't really work for the mud I'm playing)

Guess I've gotta start from scratch.
(Btw, I found the .xml files in /home/(user)/mudlet-data/profiles/Alter Aeon/current)

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Yes. I learned the hard way a while back to click the "Save Profile" button after any major changes, and at least once a day regardless. Sucks that you lost everything.

AlterAeonUser

Post by AlterAeonUser »

Honestly, there shouldn't be a "save profile" button that is separate from the "save item" button. Either one should save to the profile.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

There should be, sorry... you'll realize that once you've worked up to a huge profile and saving the entire thing will take a moment. The 'save item' button, on the other hand, doesn't save to disk but saves what you've done within Mudlet: so if you're working on a trigger, and are adjusting its code - the old trigger will be still running until you hit the 'save' button. The 'save' button also lets you know if you've had any syntax errors - without the button doing what it does, not only as soon as you start typing will you be getting syntax error (or with some clever logic, as soon as you stop typing) but your trigger will also become invalidated and won't be usable while you're editing it.

AlterAeonUser

Post by AlterAeonUser »

Then, maybe an "AutoSaveProfie" thingy every.. say hour? I'm honestly not complaining, I've never used Mudlet before, so it's honestly my bad for not saving to profile. The last client I used with any depth was MonkeyTerm, and I had a LOT of triggers and aliases for it. Sadly lost everything there when I crashed Windows.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Autosaving every now and then is indeed something I'd like to put on the agenda.

ktiedt

Post by ktiedt »

In my experience "Save item" doesnt even need to be there... it seems anytime you switch items or controls or even clicking back to the active mud window that save item happens -- at least I have never LOST a change because of those actions... until a crash that dumps everything due to not realizing "save profile" was different...