System OS went into "Low Graphics" mode

Vadi

Re: System OS went into "Low Graphics" mode

Post by Vadi »

It's clearly visible on the front page of Mudlet: in the connect window, where you select a profile to connect to, shows a profile copy to load.

I don't see how disabling backups will help with data loss... and as mentioned earlier, not many people know about them, until something happens to their files - and then they are really glad that this feature that didn't bother them and they didn't know about was there and recovered a lot of their stuff.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

ktiedt wrote:1) I didnt even know they existed
2) never needed them
3) backups are handled by my laptop already...
4) I dont even see a "backup/restore" option anywhere in the editor menus or otherwise, if its such an important feature why is it so impossible to find?
I think that we have a little communication problem here. Mudlet has no "backup" feature. Everytime you save your profile, Mudlet saves a complete snapshot of your current scripts/triggers etc. and each of these snapshots can be loaded at any given time thus giving you the option to reset your profile to any of your save points. This feature serves two purposes: 1) transparent profile history rollbacks 2) strong security measure against profile data corruption as Mudlet never touches profile data in file write mode more than once (i.e. only on snapshot creation time). Note that this has nothing to do with a backup feature i.e. a data copy to another physical hard drive in order to protect against data loss in case of a hardware failure.

ktiedt

Post by ktiedt »

Vadi: no disabling snapshots wont help save data... but it solves your biggest hangup with "save profile" happening when you leave the editor... that it will consume too much diskspace

Heiko: snapshots are a form of backup, so is versioning as is data duplication -- none require external hardware unless you want to protect against single HD failure and or physical theft... of your device... --- All I know is that the current system has cost me rather large amounts of lost data on more than one occasion because the behavior is so atypical I forget to FORCE it to save, excuse me "write to disk" since "save" has a different meaning with Mudlet....

phasma
Discord: phasma#4694

Post by phasma »

Sarcasm isn't going to win you any points :p

As for your claim of losing 'large' amounts of data, I simply have to ask: How so? The way things currently work go a long way to ensuring this does not happen. Regardless, as per the discussion, it may well be the case that some semblance of change will happen.

I'm having a hard time seeing just how you are losing so much here. I, and I am sure many others will attest to the fact that Mudlet has by far the best protection against this sort of thing -when used correctly-.

In short, save often and restart Mudlet if you are that worried about losing a lot of work.

ktiedt

Post by ktiedt »

Losing data because
a) I dont restart my computers or my applications every day... and never had any problems until Mudlet -- this should say something as to how this routine works compared to other applications

b) used correctly... is a bit subjective when the most frequently used feature of any application is... unintuitive and for all intents and purposes.... completely different than any other application

I hope to see change -- Will I stop using Mudlet -- currently there isnt a better option.... so no, I am here for the long haul, I will hope that saving really does mean saving sometime in the near future... until then, I am trying to remember to "save profile" ...

Also I would love to know where these profiles save to... I've looked int he common locations and am not finding it...

phasma
Discord: phasma#4694

Post by phasma »

They get saved into the profiles directory. Just return the value of getMudletHomeDir() and they are in the 'current' folder.

ktiedt

Post by ktiedt »

I see no profile backups in the profiles directory just the existing profile... despite the long list displayed on the connect screen? I see a blank modulesBackup directory but nothing else remotely resembling snapshots?

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

You can find the snapshots (xml files) in mudletdir/profiles/yourprofile/current.