[Revisit] Windows 7/8 - Mudlet interface unresponsive

Elanorwen

[Revisit] Windows 7/8 - Mudlet interface unresponsive

Post by Elanorwen »

It's a bit confusing trying to put the issue into words. I'll see if I can upload a video to show what's going on tonight, but the issue is as follows:

The whole screen is quite unresponsive. It is almost as if there is something overlayed on top of it that is interfering with mouse clicks. Whenever I try to click on buttons, I get no reaction whatsoever. I can sometimes alt+tab out and back in and then click for about 1-2 seconds before the problem comes back. Once an aliases/triggers/whatever window is open, that window is completely unresponsive as well, clicking anywhere in it does nothing, longer scripts that have a scroll bar refuse to respond to the mouse scroll wheel, etc. If I move the main mudlet window to one side of the screen (i.e. resize to about half screen width) and move a pop-up window to the side, I am able to actually click on things in pop up windows, but then the main window starts behaving even more strangely, in that it cannot be resized back at all unless I alt+tab out, back in and then quickly double-click the title bar. Specifically, even the maximize/minimize/close buttons at the top don't work at that point either.

Something else to consider is that when trying to interact with the menu at the top, if I hold down the mouse button and drag up, as little as I can in that situation, it's almost as if the menu doesn't exist at all as it starts selecting text that would have been hidden underneath the menu at the time.

So far I have tried reinstalling Mudlet, deleting all profiles/settings, including registry and the problem persists. Any other software I have tried using works fine, so I'm rather assuming that it is something to do with Mudlet. At a point, I thought it might be due to a chat mini-window I have, but a clean profile on a clean install of Mudlet experiences the same issue as well.

Ideas for resolving this issue will be appreciated.

EDIT: I hate to put guess-work into problem reporting, but at a point, it almost felt like Mudlet is outside the boundaries of its window and when I alt+tab out and back in, it takes a couple of seconds before it decides that things aren't where they should be, during which brief moment things can be clicked.
Last edited by Elanorwen on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Heiko
Site Admin

Re: Windows 8 - Mudlet interface unresponsive

Post by Heiko »

Please make a video. Lots of people run Mudlet on Win8 without problems. Can you give some information on your computer hardware - especially your graphics card? Thx.

Elanorwen

Post by Elanorwen »

Video can be found Here There's a purple circle around the cursor when I click. I guess I could have done something with sound, but I'm not big on broadcasting my voice over Internet.

As you can see in the video, whenever I'm in fullscreen, buttons up top are not clickable, and the cursor is in the shape of a text bar rather than an arrow. I understand that there are many users on Win8 that have no issues. I didn't have any myself until now either (And I've had Win8 since its release)

Still, considering the only program that seems to be experiencing this issue is Mudlet, then I think it's fair to consider that that's where the issue is coming from. My graphics card is a Radeon HD 6870 and I'm running the latest drivers from AMD. Beyond that, I have 8 gigs of RAM, and am running on quad-core CPU at 3GHz

Elanorwen

Post by Elanorwen »

Quick update: It would actually seem that the issue was caused by.... Java somehow. Installing an older version (Yes, I went and tried that as well) seems to have partially resolved the problem. There is now a different (visual) issue, specifically when hovering over buttons, the hover visual effect remains rather than disappearing if a button is not clicked and just hovered over. Will try to update to latest version again and see if that solves it.

EDIT: After updating to latest version, problem seems to have resolved itself. Keep in mind that uninstalling and reinstalling the same version does not seem to help as the problem persists through that. In such a situation, one would need to locate and install an older version of Java, then update back to latest.

Vadi

Re: [Solved] Windows 8 - Mudlet interface unresponsive

Post by Vadi »

Good to know, thanks for updating us.

Quite interesting because Mudlet does not use any Java at all, as well. It did a very weird thing interfering with Mudlet like that.

Elanorwen

Post by Elanorwen »

And here we go again with having absolutely the same issue, although this time it's on Win 7 and the problem is not resolved by Java uninstall/reinstall. Tried with numerous versions, but no go. Have tried a Java cleaner in the hopes they might remove some broken DLL, but that didn't seem to solve it either, and at this point I'm running out of fresh ideas. Some assistance will be appreciated.

Vadi

Re: [Revisit] Windows 7/8 - Mudlet interface unresponsive

Post by Vadi »

Not certain because Mudlet does not use any Java. It seems to be something else on your system that has been somehow affected.

phasma
Discord: phasma#4694

Post by phasma »

Hi, Elan. Long shot, I know, but have you tried just simply running a full AV/spyware scan and letting a defrag end yet? (Is this issue present in other applications)?

phasma
Discord: phasma#4694

Post by phasma »

It might also be prudent to run 'Memtest' through the night to rule out a hardware issue.

Elanorwen

Post by Elanorwen »

fetaera wrote:It might also be prudent to run 'Memtest' through the night to rule out a hardware issue.

Have definitely run it. I was suspecting a hardware problem the first time I had this issue, so I took everything apart and made sure it was all working properly. That said, the only reason I originally thought it was a Java issue was because every time I ran into a web site where Java would request permission to run an applet, moving my mouse over the pop up would move the pop up's top left corner to where my mouse cursor is. I'm actually more keen to believe that there's some shared DLL that is going screwy for some reason, which is why forcing reinstalls on both Mudlet and Java seemed like a good idea, but that didn't solve the problem this time around.