Background image?

baerden

Background image?

Post by baerden »

Hi, I've gone through the tutorial on geyzer / vyzor and i'm still confused about how I would set a background image for the mudlet window and THEN have the different windows for the game display (mud world window, chats window, status window) over top of them

This is what I have so far, I figured if I set a background it would sort of make.. borders for these?
Attachments
Screenshot-clok.contrarium.net - Mudlet 2.0-test4 10-25-2011-1.png

Ginga Giri Giri

Re: Background image?

Post by Ginga Giri Giri »

There is no way to create an image that is laid underneath the text in Mudlet. You could use a label with an image that displays it with transparency, but this is problematic because you won't be able to select the text!

baerden

Post by baerden »

what im trying to do is this, basically. Where my windows lay on top of a background image.

http://forums.mudlet.org/viewtopic.php? ... =30#p12327

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

The first picture there is an overlay, and the second is with the images carefully cropped and applied onto borders (use labels for the border space you've got).

baerden

Post by baerden »

Oh wow this is going to be harder than i thought!

Trying to make a portable UI for everyone on our mud. How do you crop the picture to fit in the gaps if peoples resolution is different? Or does that have something to do with how the geyser framework is designed to compensate for that?

I hope that makes sense..

Thanks for the reply!

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

It's not more difficult. Your image, if lets say you could set it as a background, would still need to be resized for different resolutions, right? Muskets labels can do that for you, so that is fine and easy.

The only thing you need to do here is crop it by % - add them, and they'all be scaled for you. So it's the same thing as setting one image as background and getting it scaled - you just divide it first, set them, and then they'll be scaled.

baerden

Post by baerden »

Sorry for being such a noob and dense but.. what does "muskets" refer to?

Is that a framework package?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Mudlets. Sorry, I typed it on a phone and didn't proofread because the forums are ill-adjusted for mobile viewing.

baerden

Post by baerden »

The only thing you need to do here is crop it by % - add them, and they'all be scaled for you. So it's the same thing as setting one image as background and getting it scaled - you just divide it first, set them, and then they'll be scaled.
How would you suggest doing the parts in bold? Do I get my margins (where the labels will go) pixel dimensions by superimposing my mudlet screenshot over a wallpaper (overlay) background?

I'm just not sure where to start, and thanks for all your help. I can't log into IRC due to freenode's SASL stuff (behind carrier grade nat).

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

You can dynamically size labels to be a percent of the screen in size (manually, or via Geyser or other methods). So you just decide how much to show, and then crop as necessary. No need to line things up visually in that sense.

Edit:
I.E. You decide that you want 25% of the picture to be visible on the left side, so you chop off the left 1/4th of the picture to use for the background for a label. You then make the label and set it to be 25% of the screen width.