Main window failure

Anicetus

Main window failure

Post by Anicetus »

For about a week or so now, I've run into an issue with my "main" window freezing up on me. First, the main window will go blank, then the next line sent from the mud will cause the text to appear again. This happens usually twice before the window freezes completely. All my scripts continue to run just fine while the window is frozen, my other windows are not affected, and I could continue to play, I just can't see the text scrolling by. If I don't close Mudlet within about 3-4 minutes, it will cause the program to crash (I get the general program not responding/checking for solutions window). Also, trying to scroll the main window after this freeze does not work until I restart. I'm running version 2.1 on Windows 7 and I have not found any pattern to when the failures will occur.

I have noticed that the buttons on the bottom (search, timestamps, replay, logging, emergency stop), latency window, and command line also tend to go black until I mouse over them, but this began well before this freezing issue.

I've tried system restore to revert to several different times before this issue, but none seem to have helped anything. I've also run virus scans and such and everything seems normal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

kevutian

Re: Main window failure

Post by kevutian »

Sounds like a script loop issue to me. Connect to your game on a fresh profile and see if the problem persists.

Anicetus

Post by Anicetus »

Yep, that seems to be the issue. I loaded up an older saved profile and all is well again. I still have my buttons at the bottom going black, but unless this is a sign that I've screwed up something else, I'm not too worried about it. Thanks for the advice.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Yeah, buttons at the bottom going black is an issue for everybody it seems. You can make them re-appear by moving the mouse over them.

Anicetus

Post by Anicetus »

It seems I've jumped the gun in saying that was the issue. It has continued happening, but the time frame between each occurrence is pretty random and takes usually several hours so, it's hard to test. Anyway, if anyone has any other advice or tips to try, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Edit: I think the issue may have been caused by some other program I had running. I went through and disabled the startup programs through msconfig and I haven't had another occurrence yet. Hurray for Windows breaking things.

Anicetus

Post by Anicetus »

Ok this is an issue that's persisted for quite a while now. I sat around doing nothing but spamming prompts and found that it was happening every 8 mins 15 seconds. Since all I was doing was getting prompts, I looked at all of my prompt triggers and disabled them. Disabling them was able to prolong the issue for another 8 minutes or so, but it does continue to plague me. I should note that it doesn't happen every 15 minutes when I'm actually playing, which leads me to believe that the number of prompts received is somehow a problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Could you make a screencast of this issue happening? Does it also happen on a new, blank profile without triggers?

Anicetus

Post by Anicetus »

Video here
You can skip to about 8:30 before things start happening and the text completely stops scrolling at about 8:36, but I'm still spamming until you can see my mouse. The flashing you see is pretty much my warning to get somewhere I won't get killed until I can log in again, because I usually only have a few seconds before I can't see anything anymore. My other windows like mapper, limb counter, and chat capture still work during this time. If I don't save profile when I close mudlet, I won't get the c++ error, but I figured you might want to see that too.

Edit: I've gone over 20 minutes spamming on a blank profile with no problems, so it must be something in my other profile, but I don't know what to look for.

Anicetus

Post by Anicetus »

I opened my debugging window when I was just standing around a bit and nothing was happening to send me any lines from the mud and found this timer running every second. The number increases each time. Would that have anything to do with it? I don't even know what that timer is.

[TIMER EXECUTES]: 264 fired. Executing command= and executing script:
LUA OK anonymous Lua function ran without errors

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

That would be some code in your profile running timers.