Help with a (probably relatively simple) script?

Aeryllin

Help with a (probably relatively simple) script?

Post by Aeryllin »

So, recently, at the urging of several folks far more insightful on the matter than myself, I stopped using the HTML5 client and began using Mudlet, after a few trigger issues and other such things, and heavy recommendation. I have to say that I love it a great deal.

That being said, there is one thing I miss from the HTML5 client. There was a column that had a room inventory list (such as the IH command) any time I switched between rooms, and made it far easier and quicker to filter out enemies and objects within the room, especially if I'm following another player.

Also, I am script illiterate and my attempts have failed. I'm looking for a simple script that functions in mudlet in the same fashion that the room inventory mini-console type window functions in the HTML5 client, in a mini console sort of deal itself.

Can anyone help me with this?

Orlendr

Re: Help with a (probably relatively simple) script?

Post by Orlendr »

I've asked for this too, I think Vadi said anyone who was willing could code it into Mudlet, but I don't know if anyone has tried. (I know exactly how you feel about scripting and stuff.)

Calixa

Post by Calixa »

You'll need some GMCP event handlers, easy way to obtain those is to search for the latest version of demonnic's tabbed chat. Once you have those, and understand how events work (see Mudlet wiki) you can use the events they fire, and the tables they fill, to extract the information you want. Then it is just a matter of putting it into a miniconsole, and applying the formatting you like (like highlighting enemies in red).

This may be quite a challenge for someone who is learning how to script. I suggest you begin with miniconsoles, and once you got the hang of those look at events. Then study GMCP, and the GMCP handler code should make sense to you. Once you know what it all does, it's simply a matter of putting the pieces together.

Aeryllin

Post by Aeryllin »

Yeah... that all goes right over my head. Unfortunately, I don't have as much computer time as it is and to be honest, I have no interest in learning how to code in that free time. I was hoping I'd find someone already competent that could whip this out within a couple minutes lol. ^^;;

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

I will be redoing my old information tabs and astrology modules hopefully some time this week, and a room inventory was going to be a part of that effort; however, I keep intending to do these things and then being slapped in the face by real life, but it's entirely possible something can be fixed up.

Oneymus

Post by Oneymus »

Isn't this exactly what you're looking for?

Results of search for 'room contents'

Aeryllin

Post by Aeryllin »

Hm, that might work for now - I'll have to grab it and see how it works, but I definitely will keep an eye out for your stuff as well, demonnic!

Thanks!