Mudlet + utf8?

WilhelmFink

Mudlet + utf8?

Post by WilhelmFink »

Hi!

I'm pretty new to macs and have been searching for a decent mud client, using zmud and cmud for a very long time. Mudlet looks really good but I can't seem to make it display correct unicode or utf8. This is very problematic for me since it messes up åä and ö.

Any hints on how to solve this?

Rakon

Re: Mudlet + utf8?

Post by Rakon »

As far as I am aware there is no unicode support as of yet.

plamzi

Post by plamzi »

Bump.

I'm looking at supporting Mudlet in an open-source codebase I'm working on, and right now not having UTF-8 is a deal-breaker. Given that Mudlet seems to have access to system fonts with Unicode sets, it seems like it should not be too hard to enable the negotiation?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

It's a bit more involved than enabling it in the negotiation. We'd also need to include Lua functions for working with it (that has been made easier in recent years, I reckon, with Wikipedia adopting Lua) and other stuff.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

It IS on our to do / bug report list and I am giving some thought to ensuring we can send/receive utf-8 to/from the users' scripts in the lua sub-system to the main Mudlet application C++ core... I suspect there will be things to work out in renormalising the text streams so that the trigger system fires on the right things if those things include more than one Unicode "character" - we will have to start thinking in terms of graphemes instead. Also I guess we will have to think about which, if any, Lua Unicode support library we should bundle.

On the positive side this could also lead into internationalisation of Mudlet - does that mean the French version would be "Bouelet"? - I guess not, as the name is derived from "Multi-User-Dungeon" which becomes "Dungeon multi utilisateur" it would be Dmulet... :lol:

xtian

Post by xtian »

as a side-note: Mushclient just implemented utf8 (from server), too and at avalon.mud.de we are interested in using it for pseudo-graphics (lines and icons).

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

And a decent font could be a useful source of glyphs for "Room letters" for instance you could put a '☠' on deathtrap rooms. I did run up a crude version that allow this but it requires a revision to the map format as we currently store the "letter" as quint8 and only allow an ASCII character currently, whereas we need to use a QString (not a QChar) to accommodate a single grapheme which could actually incorporates multiple Unicode code-points. It would also need a way for the user to identify (and possible change) all the characters used to check that the map loaded can be displayed with the font that you are using and provide a way to enter new ones if the user does not have a copy of gucharmap to hand to paste from.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

UTF-8 is supported natively in Mudlet now.