Where do I start from?

Mirdrayn

Where do I start from?

Post by Mirdrayn »

Hello everyone, I've been playing a certain mud for over a decade now and I have gradually changed the clients I used over times for different reasons. I started off with Gmud (Windows) which was terrible and my friend recommended JMC (Windows). JMC was an excellent choice and I have been using it up till now when I had to change to Mudlet for a MAC OS. I know nothing about scripting or language or anything as JMC was a program that was easy to use even if you had no prior knowledge of scripting. So, the question is, should I start reading up on any specific document or article so that I can start scripting in Mudlet? If I have to, is studying a language a very lengthy process? Thank you everyone!

Vadi

Re: Where do I start from?

Post by Vadi »

http://wiki.mudlet.org/w/Category:Mudlet_Manual and lua-users.org/wiki/TutorialDirectory are good places to start :D

Mirdrayn

Post by Mirdrayn »

For starters, I think I will post my questions here. So here goes, how do I change the directory to which my log file is created in. For my Mac OS, the whole mudlet folder is considered a hidden folder and I have to run a third-party app whenever I want to check what's inside the folder etc. A better question is how can I change the entire root folder of my mudlet application?

Rakon

Post by Rakon »

The answer to both those questions are: You can't change the directory for logging, or the root directory of mudlet 'home'.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

The answer to both those questions, actually, is to create a SymLink in the terminal. If you need help doing this, just hit me up on IRC, though that topic is pretty thorough.

Alternatively, just create an alias/shortcut to your .config folder, or learn how to open it in the terminal nice and fast... no need for a third party app at all, or unhide the folder, again no third party app needed, or make your mac show the hidden folders.

Omni

Post by Omni »

I feel like the best choice here is to get a non-Mac. :sagenod:

Rakon

Post by Rakon »

Phoenix wrote:The answer to both those questions, actually, is to create a SymLink in the terminal. If you need help doing this, just hit me up on IRC, though that topic is pretty thorough.

Alternatively, just create an alias/shortcut to your .config folder, or learn how to open it in the terminal nice and fast... no need for a third party app at all, or unhide the folder, again no third party app needed, or make your mac show the hidden folders.
An alias, or symlink does not change the actual directory or 'root folder' of mudlet at all. Its a link, obviously.

Mirdrayn

Post by Mirdrayn »

Phoenix wrote:The answer to both those questions, actually, is to create a SymLink in the terminal. If you need help doing this, just hit me up on IRC, though that topic is pretty thorough.

How do I unhide the folder permanently?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

You can't, Mudlet won't be able to locate it then. It's an issue with the Mac OS that they make it so unbelievably hard to view these folders - sorry. It's not a big deal at all in Linux-based OS' or Windows even.

Mirdrayn

Post by Mirdrayn »

I would like some recommendations on the general scripts I should start creating when I am playing on a RP-enforced / PK Mud. I know this question may sound stupid as every MUD has a uniqueness but just trying my luck here.