Mapping and setting up health bars.

Dangazzm

Mapping and setting up health bars.

Post by Dangazzm »

I want to know how to customize my experience a little more but haven't seen any real examples on how this can be done. Seen a lot of pics and stuff of some AWESOME looking clients but yea I wanna know how to do this myself hah.

I have been playing http://www.ateraan.com/ lately and I find it to be damn brilliant. Though there are some things that I need in a mud, well not need but it makes the experience easier and thus that much more enjoyable. First of all I need a good map.

I have seen through searching Google some auto maps for Mudlet but... don't see any downloads or anything so its like its there but not there dunno couldn't find it. I just want something that can do a lot of the work but wouldn't mind fixing up some things about it.

Then finally I like health bars and such and wouldn't mind knowing how to do it heh. So any links or information would be appreciated.

Dangazzm

Re: Mapping and setting up health bars.

Post by Dangazzm »

Ah hah! Thank you very much this is what I was looking for when it came to my whole gui... dunno how I missed that but lets ignore that hah. Is there a basic framework for mapping as well? I mean I will put in some work to it to make it work for me but, yea know they are really hard to do for someone who doesn't know what the hell they are doing :P

Dangazzm

Post by Dangazzm »

Ah no I am starting to see my issue. I was using the released 1. something version but now I got 2.0 with the mapping function... doesn't mean I will be able to setup a map easily with this hah... so if anyone has any sorta info they wouldn't mind throwing out there or a thread with a good base I could go off of that would still be appreciated.

KaVir

Post by KaVir »

I've had discussions in the past with the owner of New Worlds Ateraan, and I'm afraid he's one of those mud owners who strongly opposes the use of graphics in his game, even referring to automapping as "cheating".

Obviously graphics are handled at the client end, so he can't actually stop you from using them, but the lack of modern protocol support will limit what you can do.

Newer versions of Mudlet do indeed have an automapper, but I believe it still requires ATCP or GMCP support from the mud (see here).

Dangazzm

Post by Dangazzm »

Hmm yes actually thats the reason that I came to mudlet is because I was trying it with CMud first and to no avail, on major problem is that going the wrong direction all it outputs is "what?" heh.

Anyways glad someone looked into it, sad this is how it is looked at. LOVED the game honostly but... its just too hard to play to be enjoyable without me mapping some areas so I can find my way around >.>

This is just... sad, shit I don't wanna play his game then anyways if I am just a damn dirty cheater to him... All I wanted was a serious RP experience. Bah I will never find a MUD I can really sink my teeth into.

Well thank you very much anyways Kavir

KaVir

Post by KaVir »

Just to clarify, my intent isn't to bad-mouth New Worlds - from what I've seen, I think they've done a great job. However, as I discussed in a recent interview on GamingHUD, I firmly believe the MUD community is going to see an increasing number of graphical interfaces in the future, and I view this as something very positive. A few other mud developers share my view, while the majority seem fairly apathetic. However New Worlds stands at the forefront of those who are outright opposed to the idea, and consider graphics to be a step in the wrong direction.

It'll certainly be very interesting to see what happens to the state of mudding over the next decade. But of course that doesn't help you right now!

Dangazzm

Post by Dangazzm »

Oh no I wouldn't want to either, the game world is beautiful and the community is the BEST I have ever encountered in a MUD. However I just.. I dunno I feel offended by his strong response hah. There is no room for discussion? No room to say hey MAYBE THAT is ok but this isn't its just all bad if it ain't black and white text pretty much. But yea I wouldn't wanna bad mouth him either, guy can build a wonderful community at the very least hah.

As for the interview... I had no idea you were the owner of God Wars II, holy shit. I am humbled hah that combat was some of the best I have ever... ever played. Still play it off and on, never got hardcore into it cause I enjoy the role play aspect of it and I am sure you heard this a lot but... I applaud you, you have some crazy visions for text based games that I would have never thought possible :P

Daagar

Post by Daagar »

Minor clarification... while GMCP/ATCP makes creating a mapping script a lot easier, it isn't a requirement. However, it does require quite a bit of custom scripting to make the mapper do anything useful :)