Can't install Mudlet

Ainera

Can't install Mudlet

Post by Ainera »

Hello - never posted here before! Forgive me in advance for my complete lack of computer savvy :oops: I'm just going to say everything that I did and tried and hopefully some of you wonderful smart Mudlet folks will know what to do. ^_^
Here goes:

I downloaded the file called "Mudlet-1.1.1.exe" from the site via the link "Windows Mudlet 1.1.1 (unknown, 11,593 downloads)" on the downloads page. (I tried the other file as well "Mudlet-1.1.0.exe")

I opened it to install it - First screen was the license agreement. The next screen was about file location (I tried changing the location to no avail) The problem comes when I click the install button. This is the screen that comes up, well, what the screen says anyway:

Error opening file for writing:

C:\Program Files\Mudlet\libpcre.dll

Click Abort to stop the installation,
Retry to try again, or
Ignore to skip this file.

Abort (obviously) always cancels the installation. Gives details to copy to the clipboard, and they are:

Output folder: C:\Program Files\Mudlet
Error creating: C:\Program Files\Mudlet\bt-uninst.exe
Can't write: C:\Program Files\Mudlet\libpcre.dll

Retry, however many times I can click it, does nothing but offer the chance to choose again. (oh and a delightful 'ding' sound for a reward :lol: ) When I click Ignore, it errors and continues to do so for 19 more files. I wrote all 20 down in order, in case it would be of any help. (all files are prefaced with C:\Program Files\Mudlet, with the exception of one near the end of the list - C:\Program Files\Mudlet\luasql.sqlite3.dll)

libpcre.dll | lua51.dll | lua5.1.dll | mingwm10.dll | QtCore4.dll | QtNetwork4.dll | GtGui4.dll | zlib.dll

mudlet.ico | badge.bmp | mudlet.exe | mudlet.ico (in the list twice for some reason) | rex_pcre.dll

libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll | \luasql\sqlite3.dll | msvcm80.dll | msvcr80.dll | msvcp80.dll

I searched the forums here looking to see if someone else had this problem before - there were some similar cases- however...like I said above, I am for all intents and purposes illiterate in computer speak and coding and such, and I kind of didn't understand what was being said *facepalm*

There was one that mentioned making sure windows had all it's updates and such, so I updated Windows and made sure I got all of them, not just the 'critical' ones or whatever they're called. ** Oh, this is probably important - The "About Windows" screen says it's Windows Vista Home premium Version 6.0, Build 6002: Service Pack 2. **

Good Gravy I'm such a git - let me apologize for such a LOOOOONNNG post. I am so sorry. I just figure if I say everything, I won't forget to include anything. (though, I'm sure I have :roll: ) I look forward to hearing from anyone out there. I will do my best to answer any questions if it helps too! Thanks muchly in advance! :mrgreen:

Darmir

Re: Can't install Mudlet

Post by Darmir »

Go get the latest test version. mudlet-2.0-test.exe http://sourceforge.net/projects/mudlet/files/

Ainera

Post by Ainera »

Thanks for the quick response. I downloaded it and unfortunately it had the same 'error opening file for writing' only way more than last time. The installation details I copied and will paste:

Error creating: C:\Program Files\Mudlet\bt-uninst.exe
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Mudlet\luasql
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Mudlet\src\keplerproject-luasql-e69c234\src\jdbc\src\java\org\keplerproject\luasql
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Mudlet\src\keplerproject-luasql-e69c234\src\jdbc\src\java\org\keplerproject\luasql\jdbc
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Mudlet\mudlet-lua
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Mudlet\mudlet-lua\lua
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Mudlet\mudlet-lua\lua\geyser
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Mudlet\mudlet-lua\lua\luadoc
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Mudlet\mudlet-lua\lua\luadoc\doclet
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Mudlet\mudlet-lua\lua\luadoc\doclet\html
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Mudlet\mudlet-lua\lua\luadoc\taglet
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Mudlet\mudlet-lua\lua\luadoc\taglet\standard
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Mudlet\mudlet-lua\mudlet-lua-doc
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Mudlet\mudlet-lua\mudlet-lua-doc\files
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Mudlet\mudlet-lua\mudlet-lua-doc\files\geyser
Create folder: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Mudlet
Create shortcut: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Mudlet\Uninstall Mudlet.lnk
Create shortcut: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Mudlet\Mudlet.lnk
Create shortcut: C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Mudlet.lnk
Completed

Maybe I have a virus or something? Perhaps my computer is set to not install certain things? I have no clue. Again, I do appreciate the answer, thanks for trying

Jarrin

Post by Jarrin »

Have you tried to right click on the install icon and select "Run as administrator"? I've run into this before and that has solved it for me.

Darmir

Post by Darmir »

Are you running on windows? What version 32bit or 64? What privileges do you have as that user? The more information about your system the better we can help.

Ainera

Post by Ainera »

I tried the right click and "Run as administrator" - that actually worked! Thanks Jarrin ^_^ If I could go off topic a wee bit - how would I find out the info that you asked about Darmir? Just so I know in the future. Thanks again to everybody! I can't wait to MUD my face off in style ;)