[SOLVED] No sound triggers in Ubuntu 18.04

Darvinia

[SOLVED] No sound triggers in Ubuntu 18.04

Post by Darvinia »

Mudlet 4.9.1, Ubuntu 18.04

I just upgraded Ubuntu from 14.04 to 18.04. In 14.04 I was using Mudlet 3.7.1 and my sound triggers worked fine. After upgrading I had no sound. So I upgraded my Mudlet version to the latest but I still have no sound. The chosen sound file shows up in my trigger setting window but is in grey not black text.

I have searched the internet and this forum and I have found lots and lots of answers and I have tried them all to no avail. So I'm asking for your help directly.

I should state that I have sound in all my other applications and programs on the computer except in another mud client, Kildclient. Is it a mud client issue? (I hadn't used Kildclient for years, I much prefer Mudlet. I only opened it to test the sound triggers.)
Last edited by Darvinia on Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demonnic

Re: No sound triggers in Ubuntu 18.04

Post by demonnic »

Unfortunately when using the appimage there is a known issue with sound triggers. The gstreamer libraries which are required to get that working in linux. I'm not 100% on the details but I believe the issue is with the packager used to gather the libraries and make the appimage. I know there's a github issue up for it, I'll see if I can find it later and add it to this thread.

If you compile the application yourself with the gstreamer libraries installed, then you will be able to use sound.

tl;dr It's a known issue which we would like to fix but have not had the time to dig and fix the upstream issues or move to a different format for the file.

Darvinia

Post by Darvinia »

Thank you! Nothing is TLTR for me. I like detail. It's good to know I'm not the only one and that I didn't just misunderstand when trying all the other workarounds. Now I'm off to find out if I have the gstreamer libraries installed and if not, how to do that.

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

https://wiki.mudlet.org/w/Compiling_Mudlet has some information on, well, compiling mudlet

Darvinia

Re: [SOLVED] No sound triggers in Ubuntu 18.04

Post by Darvinia »

:D Yes! Thank you again! All done and dusted and playing my mud with sounds! I didn't realize how much I relied on them for information as I ran around. I can't thank you enough. :D