Generic mapping help

lamazza

Generic mapping help

Post by lamazza »

I've seen the thread of generic mapping, but i can't figure out how to write the prompt, there's no char legend...
MUD is ShadowGate
I'm trying to "start mapping" but i get "(mapper): (error): Room detection not yet working, see map basics for guidance."

I've read i need 3 trigger but i can't find how to type/write those 3 triggers

Eraene

Re: Generic mapping help

Post by Eraene »

Some basic tips:

The generic mapper will try to find a room name in the first line that appears after you hit look or a movement key. It will also try to find a prompt and exits automatically afterward.

If you do not have a basic understanding of Mudlet triggers, I suggest looking at the wiki here: https://wiki.mudlet.org/w/Manual:Introduction#Triggers

That will make it much easier for you to understand what to do with the room and exit triggers.

While setting up basic mapping, use the map debug command to assist you in the process of detecting room information.

So if the mapper is not properly recognizing your room information, you will not be able to map. The first thing to do is try to get it to find your prompt with the find prompt command followed by any MUD command, like look or inventory to get the MUD to show you its prompt. If the mapper doesn't automatically recognize your prompt, you can give it a pattern to use. For example, if your MUD prompt looks like

Code: Select all

100/100hp 100/100mp 100/100mv >
then you would use the command map prompt in this way:

map prompt %d+/%d+hp %d+/%d+mp %d+/%d+mv >
The next thing to do is look at room name information. As previously stated, the mapper will automatically take the first line it sees after a look or a movement as the room name. If this is not always the room name, the mapper can end up with faulty map. For this reason there is the map ignore command which will tell the mapper to ignore certain lines from the MUD that may interfere with room name recognition. For example if you see something like

A scary monster has appeared from the west.
appearing before your room names, use map ignore like so:

map ignore has appeared from the
and the mapper will no longer consider that line for a room name. Since what is appearing can change and so can the direction it came from, those parts are left out so that anything arriving from any direction should still be ignored by the mapper.

Finally, if the mapper is not recognizing exits, you can give the mapper a new trigger to work with. However if your game has an unsual method for displaying exits, this may depend on what exactly the exits of your game look like. It's difficult to account for all games as many games have many different ways of displaying rooms. If you need further help, it would be useful to show an example of what rooms look like in your game so that you can receive more specific information.

lamazza

Re: Generic mapping help

Post by lamazza »

Find prompt doesn't find anything.
Have no hp/mana prompt on the screen...
Here 3 screens