How to capture and store data (and view it via an alias)?

Vooku

Re: How to capture and store data (and view it via an alias)?

Post by Vooku »

I paste/copied your newest code in and here a screen shot of the print data when I "@aucdata price"
Attachments
aucdata price.JPG
aucdata price.JPG (116.24 KiB) Viewed 5614 times

Vooku

Post by Vooku »

Maybe my .lua file is the issue.
Attachments
auction_data.lua
(7 KiB) Downloaded 252 times

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

I'm assuming that is after you ran the code snippet to switch all the prices from strings to numbers, though that isn't sorting by price in either paradigm. So, the problem is likely in your alias, combined with the fact that the function we are using checks for the exact text. Can you copy your alias pattern and code here, and at the bottom of the code for the alias, can you add this: display(matches)

Hopefully that will let us see what is actually getting sent to the function, so we can understand why it is working the way it is.

Edit: Just looked at your Lua file, and it seems fine, though I can tell the prices are still stored as strings.

Vooku

Post by Vooku »

I ran the LUA script you posted to convert to number. Not sure why it didn't work.

@aucdata(?: \w+)?$

show_auction_data(matches[2])

display(matches) returns "@aucdata price"
Last edited by Vooku on Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Okay, so I'm not sure how much of those problems are down directly to me... but, your alias pattern is the problem. It should be this: ^@aucdata(?: (\w+))?$

Without that extra set of parentheses nothing was getting captured, and hence nothing got passed to the show_auction_data function.

Running the script snippet would convert the data in the table, but the changes don't get saved until more data is added when a new auction is captured (though you could just use the table.save line from the function to save it manually).

Edit: If prices are still actually strings, then when you sort by price they will be sorted so that all prices starting with a 1 come first, followed by those starting with a 2, etc. If they are numbers, then we all know how that should look.

Vooku

Post by Vooku »

That was it! Working now. I thought I copied the capture alias. Somehow I messed it up. Thanks, sorting working!

Vooku

Post by Vooku »

Hate to bug you again... I have two questions.

How could I manually add an item (item, price, date, buyer) myself via an 'lua' command?

Also, would it be a pain to merge auction_data.lua files? I play on my laptop and my tablet so I'd like to be able to merge the table from my tablet to my laptop table. Guessing that isn't as easy.

I really appreciate the help!

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

If you really care about the date, the. I would do it this way: lua table.insert(auction_data,{item = “item name”, price = 100, date = “Jul 27, 2018”, buyer = “buyer name”})

As for merging files, obviously the first step is to put a copy of the second file in the same folder as the file you want to merge it with, with a slightly changed name. Then you want to load that file into a table, merge that table with the auction_data table, and then save the auction_data table. Sort of like this:
Code: [show] | [select all] lua
local tmp = {}
table.load(getMudletHomeDir()..”file.lua”,tmp)
auction_data = table.n_union(auction_data,tmp)
table.save(getMudletHomeDir() .. “auction_data.lua”,auction_data)[\lua]

Key sidenote. I wrote this on my phone, so extra double check for errors and typos.

Vooku

Post by Vooku »

I'm getting an "attempt to compare number with string" error on @aucdata price. Is that because I'm not storing price number?

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

That is because some are strings and some are numbers. Though lua shouldn’t struggle to compare “10” and 10, as it can convert back and forth fairly easily. Do you get this sort of error with any other sorting, or just price? And if you can see all your data, do any of the prices look like they aren’t numbers? If not, you probably need to convert all the prices to numbers again, and then save the table.

My guess would be that when you merged the two files, one file had strings while the other had numbers.