Mudlet for Raspian

suladan

Mudlet for Raspian

Post by suladan »

Using a raspberry pi with raspian and trying to install mudlet bombs out. Searched through all documentation, comments on this and other forums and seems like it's an issue with qt5 only compiling on a 64 bit processor and even though this model pi has that, raspian doesn't support it yet. Is there any workaround? Maybe using an earlier version of mudlet? 3.4? Anybody out there ever successfully installed mudlet on a raspberry pi?

Vadi

Re: Mudlet for Raspian

Post by Vadi »

I've heard of a few people running Mudlet on Raspian. Does the version from Raspian repositories not work for you? 3.7.1 is present there and it's recent enough.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Only the RPi3 has a 64-bit core and I am not even sure that Raspbian has a 64bit kernel (yet). It is of course using an ARM processor not a AMD/Intel one but that is not inherently a reason to fail. What happens if you try mudlet --version and mudlet --help from the command line? I've not gotten around to seriously trying mudlet on my RPis (a B, a B+ and a 2B) but I'd only really consider trying it on the last of these - (besides the B+ will be busy running my Home when I finish some coding on it, but I'm still tied up in Mudlet ATM! :-) ) apart from anything else a native compilation takes a lot of resources and the RPi is not over-endowed with them {an external HDD might help but the almost USB 2.0 is still slow for a swap file to add to the 1GByte on the later ones - so a single core make is probably the safest option}.

The Raspian package maintainers will like have patched Mudlet to compile/run on the RPi (oh, on my RPi running "Jessie" the offering is Mudlet 1:2.1-2 which is the 2.1 version {that uses Qt 4.8.6} which is considerably out of date now, it is maintained by csmall@debian, the same person who does the main Debian port) so if it is not working it might be an idea to contact them...

Of course - you are probably running "Stretch" by now but until I can get my systems updated I cannot find out what is on offer... :(

suladan

Post by suladan »

Thanks! Wish I would've tried the repo from the start. When I was first checking it out, I saw a bunch of walk-throughs on manually installing it and a work-around on getting qt5 to work. Needless to say, it didn't end up working.

The repo itself says it's mudlet 2.7, but 2.1 is what comes out the other end. The only issue I had was that the achaea crowdmap isn't working and says that I need to upgrade mudlet, which I obviously can't. But using server provided map and that's working fine. So far so good.

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

[aside]... oh dear - I tried a dist-upgrade from "Jessie" to "Stretch" on my Home Automation RPi (because it was up and running) and messed things up - and since I have source code on it that I do not have backed up anywhere - I can not currently check to see how what is available pre-packaged. It had been running for over a 100 days since I last rebooted it but I ran out of space on the root partition during the update and although I solved that issue it looks as though I've messed up the initramd and kernel images (after reboot the B+ repeatedly flashes the activity [green] LED four times) - given that it is NOOBS setup I've subsequently found that the file-system is a bit confusing as it a disk image containing multiple partitions in a single file loopback mounted at some point during the boot and as those are ext4 filesystems with large/huge files and/or "extents" they are hard to access from my default FreeBSD OS and looking at them from Linux is a bit confusing - as the file sits inside another set of partitions that NOOBS uses. Anyhow I've got a new 16GB microSD card on order (which I needed anyhow as I have three RPis but only 2 cards currently) and I'm going to go for a direct, single OS installation which should be a whole lot simpler to understand - and maybe a bit faster as well - to which I can copy files I can salvage from the original card mounted on my main PC... :geek:

Anyhow I hope to get back to you on what has been packaged up for "Stretch" on Raspbian later this week.[/aside]

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

... oh dear, I've managed to get my RPi running with the current Raspbian Stretch download and it looks like Mudlet was pulled from the games-mud meta-package inherited from Debian Stretch:
Screenshot from 2018-05-23 20-30-48.png
So it looks like a source code build is going to be needed, perhaps it can be cross-compiled on a Desktop PC (I'd suggest a CMake route rather than a QMake one as the former is better at it from what I have heard)!